Pregnant and job hunting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachelLynch

Reaction score
I need a little bit of advice on job hunting whilst pregnant.

At the moment i am currently unemployed looking for a job, problem is i found out last night i am pregnant.

From your point of view if i applied at your salon and told you i was pregnant would you be annoyed, take me on because you feel you had to or be happy to take me on and not bother?

Also when should i tell the employer? before the interview, after the interview or after ive started?

I went for an interview at the beginning of the week and going for a trial on Wednesday. Should i cancel it or tell her?

I have no idea.

Help someone please xxxx

I need a little bit of advice on job hunting whilst pregnant.

At the moment i am currently unemployed looking for a job, problem is i found out last night i am pregnant.

From your point of view if i applied at your salon and told you i was pregnant would you be annoyed, take me on because you feel you had to or be happy to take me on and not bother?

Also when should i tell the employer? before the interview, after the interview or after ive started?

I went for an interview at the beginning of the week and going for a trial on Wednesday. Should i cancel it or tell her?

I have no idea.

Help someone please xxxx

Honest opinion.... People dont really like taking on whilst pregnant as you have your 9 months maternity, time off for scans etc. also there is a chance you wouldnt go back after having baby. Im not saying they couldnt employ you tho. We had a girl who said she was pregnant after she got job and she was really bad at her job but we couldnt sack her coz of the discrimintaion things over being pregnant. Tough one. Good luck and congrats anyway xxxx lucia xxx

Congrats on being pregnant :)

When I started a new job when I was 5 weeks pregnant. I told the lady I was renting a room from and she told me she would not have taken me on had she known.
After that things became very awkward at work and I left. My son is now 9 months old and I find being mobile and working from home so much better xx

Congratulations! !

I found out I was pregnant about 3 weeks after starting my new job! It wasn't intentional and I was gutted for my emolyer but it was just one of those things! Thankfully she was wonderful and supportive and didnt find an "excuse" to get rid of me, And even let me work from home some days! (Paperwork etc) I know of people who have kept it secret until after there trial has finished and thet get a full contract, but really who wants to start a job lying ?? Not the best grounds for a long and enjoyable career!

Im torn as to what advice to give you! For your own sake id say, keep it quiet and get a job.

But as a manager & employer id be pretty annoyed to find out after investing time and money in you!

If you need a job for the short term then you need to do what you habe to do (but bare in mind that you cant use some products and can have certain treatments done - so any training you might do may cause a problem) and early stages of pregnancy can mean your dizzy, sick and tired alot

But if your hoping for a long time job, and hope to go back after the baby then I would say honest is the best policy, but done be surprised if you dont get a call back. !!! Not that you should be discriminated against as your pregnant but it does happen! !!

If you decide to go for your interview I would wait to tell them after they offer you the job.

Good luck with everything! ! Babies are wonderful! Best gift ever x
Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I found out I was pregnant about 3 weeks after starting my new job! It wasn't intentional and I was gutted for my emolyer but it was just one of those things! Thankfully she was wonderful and supportive and didnt find an "excuse" to get rid of me, And even let me work from home some days! (Paperwork etc) I know of people who have hept it secret until after there trial has finished and thet get a full contract, but really who wants to start a job lying ?? Not the best grounds for a long and enjoyable career!

If you need a job for the short term then you need to do what you habe to do (but bare in mind that you cant use some products and can have certain treatments done - so any training you might do may cause a problem) and early stages of pregnancy can mean your dizzy, sick and tired alot.

But if your hoping

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Hmmm that's a tough one. Whilst I agree with what everyone else is saying part of me is also screaming don't say a word. Reason being if you've only just found out I assume you are in the very early stages of pregnancy. Heaven forbid anything happens but if you are still in the first 12 weeks then you could still miscarry. Gosh that sounds awful and I really don't mean it to but there is no other way of saying it without just coming out with it. Hopefully everything runs smoothly but what if you did tell them, didn't get the job then lost the baby.

I hope everything goes well with the pregnancy and the job hunt xx

As an employer if I want told at interview (at the latest) I would be very annoyed.

Jemima :)

Im not an employer & whilst I agree an employer would no doubt be annoyed & more than likely not take you on...

On the other hand, you are unemployed with a little one on the way, you need the job more than ever!

Id think of myself & keep quiet. You dont actually 'have' to tell your employer until 15 weeks before you want to take maternity leave. So you are quite a way off, & god forbid if anything should go wrong as mentioned above.

Congratulations :) & good luck!

Xx

you have to work for your employer for at least 26 weeks before your qualifying week which is 15 weeks before your due date - Thats 41 weeks. you will not be entitled to any maternity pay or leave if you start your job when you are already pregnant. Something to consider.
As an employer, I know its harsh, but I would be very annoyed if you did not disclose this at the earliest stage of employing. I have 2 children myself so Im not being biased, I know how hard it is, but do you know how hard it is to run a salon cost effectively and efficiently?
p.s, congratulations by the way! xx

If you don't intend going back to work full time straight after youv had the baby, I would try set up a home salon or do mobile just now for some money, and build a clientele you can work around with baby

Thank you for all your replies.
I want to go back full time after the baby is born, I did start a job but the last place was awful I did a post on ut; cleaning 12 hour days instead of doing beauty.

Ive been thinking and thougt I would go for the trial on Wednesday and if she offers it me then tell her im pregnant and tell her she isnt obliged to offer me the job I wont take offense. But at the same time im thinking shall I wait because like yoy say something could always go wrong (miscarriage) im so torn but dont want to lie :(

Xxx

Thank you for all your replies.
I want to go back full time after the baby is born, I did start a job but the last place was awful I did a post on ut; cleaning 12 hour days instead of doing beauty.

Ive been thinking and thougt I would go for the trial on Wednesday and if she offers it me then tell her im pregnant and tell her she isnt obliged to offer me the job I wont take offense. But at the same time im thinking shall I wait because like yoy say something could always go wrong (miscarriage) im so torn but dont want to lie :(

Xxx

Its easier said than done going back to work full time. I could put money on it that you wont. I just did 2 days. You will never get your childs first few years back. Saying that if u wanted to wait. I had a miscarrige few weeks ago at 11 weeks.lucia xx

Latest posts

Back