Pregnant mobile hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bri84

Reaction score
I have just started up mobile hairdressing about 4 months ago and it is going very well. I have now just found out I am pregnant, which I am delighted about. I was just wondering what all you other mobile hairdressers do regarding maternity leave? Can you get any pay from the government? And what about your clients? Obviously they will have to go elsewhere while I am off, but have you found they dont come back? And what do you think is an acceptable amount of time off? I would like to spend as much time as possible with my newborn but I am worried my clients may get fed up waiting!

I have just started up mobile hairdressing about 4 months ago and it is going very well. I have now just found out I am pregnant, which I am delighted about. I was just wondering what all you other mobile hairdressers do regarding maternity leave? Can you get any pay from the government? And what about your clients? Obviously they will have to go elsewhere while I am off, but have you found they dont come back? And what do you think is an acceptable amount of time off? I would like to spend as much time as possible with my newborn but I am worried my clients may get fed up waiting!

Hi, congratulations , here's an older post that may help you :hug: x

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/...-self-employed.html?highlight=maternity+leave

hi as long as your nat insurance paid up to date you get around £110 a week off gov.
regarding customers it really depends on them?? if you do a good job then then surley they would want you back! i had to close my salon when i had my son but re opened when he was 4 weeks which was awful. but at leats you can work your own chosen hours
good luck xxxxxxxxxxx

Congratulations! you do get some money from the government , but its not much , and i think you can get child tax credit and maybe some housing benefit depending on your personal situation . Its important to keep declaring your money from clients even if it is drips and drabs , i think that you can have a allowance until you reach --so many ponds . id phone citizens advice

i have recently just had a baby myself and went back to work when she was only 8 weeks old as i had had 16 wks off in total.
its difficult as if you leave it to long they will more than likely stay with the new hairdresser.
i managed to get all my customers back minus 2 BUT I FOUND IT REALLY DIFFICULT. and after having to juggle such a young baby decided to think of my family first and reduce my customer list to fewer days.
i decided that when i feel ready to get back full time and FULL PREPARED i will advertise again and start a fresh.
i think you will just have to work out how long you think they can cope without you and tell them your planned return date but warn them that you will not know for certain until the baby arrives.
i sent out a announcement card and cover letter explaining my return date and days i would be working (also stating that i fully understood if they were happy with their new stylist and told them if ever they need my assistantance in the future to contact me)
i sent this out 8 weeks before returning allowing my book to fill up on my return.
i think the hardest thing is you feel your loyalty is to your clients and don't want to let them down BUT when the baby comes that could all flip the other way.
just don't feel under pressure...enjoy the baby :)

Hi I have been wondering about this also, im not pregnant but I plan to have kids in the future (congrats to the poster bye the way!!!). What about the realy heavy equipment mobile therapists have to carry around, is this safe to do during pregnancy?xx

Posted via Mobile Device

Hi I have been wondering about this also, im not pregnant but I plan to have kids in the future (congrats to the poster bye the way!!!). What about the realy heavy equipment mobile therapists have to carry around, is this safe to do during pregnancy?xx
well no no heavy lifting is advised.. i am pregnant at the min and do semi perm lashes but they are having to come to me for the time being as i just refuse to risk the baby carrying round the massage table,
i am also a hairdresser but my hair stuff is not really alot to carry, i have a colour trolley case, and just wheel it to the house, although most of my customers come out (or there husbands) and carry it for me... x

Latest posts

Back