Prices for beginners?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megs93

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm just starting off but I've had some family and friends ask if I could do their nails (all acrylic at the mo) they said that would pay and for me to tell them how much. Now that's what I don't know. What is an acceptable price to charge. Obviously I won't be brilliant so I don't want to charge them a stupid amount. But I need to cover costs. Any ideas would be fab.

Thanks Guys!

I am currently doing a level 3 course using NSI products our tutor has advised that cost per set or acrylics is around £5 additional £3 if using glaze and go as a top coat this is just material cost not your time hope this helps :)

Brilliant Thanks!

If you start your prices too low you'll find it difficult to up your prices later, have some confidence in yourself and charge what you're worth, it is hard at the start to charge family and friends but work out your pricelist and maybe offer them a discount(I give family and close friends a 20% discount)

I would charge £10-15 for a limited time offer and let them know of your full price eg. mine would be £35 first set CND Liquid and Powder. Having a higher trial price makes it easier to go up to your full price later on in a few months time. I would do repairs for free in the first week (I did this as I was still learning and most repairs were down to my 'errors') then tell them a price per nail for repairs after. I hope this helps. X

Thanks Claire P. I was thinking about charging around £10 for a limited time then upping it. And that's where I get stuck. I'm not sure what a reasonable price for acrylic would be (will be training to shellac/gellish in a couple of months time) seeing as I'm new to it so won't be as good as other mobile nail techs or salons. And I won't have the full skill set when it comes to nail art etc.

Thanks again for your help :)

I've recently had this problem, in all honesty you need to sit down with your kit and a calculator. I spent a day going through all of my services writing a list of the products I use and then writing out how much it costs for each product for each service. I then tallied it all up and have a spreadsheet with every product, every service and how much it all totals with or without my hourly rate. I now have the cost price to charge to cover materials and a proper idea of what I can afford to sell my services at.

It's boring, hard work but you need to otherwise you may find out you are selling your "cost price" at a loss. Google is invaluable I ended up searching for things like "cost per service NSI attraction" etc. This way I managed to find out how many uses I'll get out of my products.

Just remember when you feel confident enough to increase your prices, include insurance, mileage, car repairs, car insurance etc (if your mobile) and any training costs also.

And please don't undersell yourself in the future! Have fun with practicing on family and friends, use them truly as guinea pigs for different styles and nail art. Xx

Day 1 after qualifying you should charge full market price. Year 25 after qualifying you should charge full market price.

Once you are qualified you are of a standard and level to provide professional treatments and must charge as such. If you don't when and how will you put your prices up?

When you do put your prices up how will you feel if your friends refuse to pay that? Will it knock your confidence?

If training a contribution toward product cost is fine, on the understanding that once you qualify they pay full price.

Never undersell yourself.

Latest posts

Back