Prices for nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone experiences this in their area where they work.

I haven't even started my home based business yet. I did do some research on salons around my home, and found a lot of discount salons which charge next to nothing to do Acrylics.

When I've been approached by colleagues at work on what my prices will be like once I start up,I have no idea what to say, so i stick to, im working on my prices.
Then they come out with "oh the Chinese shop on high street only charge £20!" Which I know.

Then they tell me it's for Gels, so I ask them do they use a UV lamp n use a product that is like Gel, or is it a liquid & powder. They say liquid & dipped into powder!

I've tried explaining to them this is not Gels, if they are telling you this its wrong information.

I also question them on asking them do u know what make of products they use,do they advertise the products they use. They say no.

I feel after training with reputable companies and paying full prices for my training & products I'd use, and knowing I can do a perfect set of nails, I don't want to charge what the Chinese salons are charging!

I then think maybe as a start up for my business ill have to dip my prices as low as them just to get the clientele.

It's very difficult to educate people on a what is a good nail treatment, and why there prices might be very cheap. They don't seem to get there is a big difference on products & quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what's funny? In my area the Xxxx salons charge £35-40 for a plain set of acrylic, but it's the recently qualified mobile part-timers who drag the prices down!
I don't have to compete at all with any high street places, I have to deal with people saying "oh but my sister's friend's cousin can do them for a fiver"

Cheapies are always gonna be there and if you go lower, they go lower and so on.

Charge what you think you're worth and let them worry about themselves. Good Luck!
:D x

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's good!

These don't seem to be recently qualified coz they can do a set in 45 mins!!!

I've been in the salons with a few on my friends just to see what they do.

I don't plan to charge what they charge, because I know my treatment and products are good quality.

Finding people to pay even £25 for a set of nails is hard, especially when they say oh we usually pay £18!!!

try not to get drawn into competing with others on price. Charge what you feel u are worth. I charge £35 for a full set of l+p and whilst i might not have as many clients as cheaper techs, i make a good profit on each set i do and also have clients that are willing to spend money on extras. cheap prices attract cheap clients and they are often more trouble than they are worth in my experience.

hth

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Thank you for your encouragement!

I'm not even thinking of charging more than £25 for a set and finding it difficult to get clients! But I ain't going to go down on my prices.

£20 Acrylics
£25 for 3D Nails
£20 for Gel
£28 for Gel Extensions
£22 for Gel Glitters
£18 for Shellac/Rock Stars

hope this helps! Good luck, dont worry about the cheapies - as I saw on someones page on here "Nice Nails aint Cheap and Cheap Nails aint Nice!!"

I had same trouble with tans last year, lots of people mobile and new shops offering tans for a tenner, got round it by keeping a good service and offering superior tans with full choices of strengths of solution, also if you offer loyalty cards u will be onto an winner ;) xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank u, u are so right quality pays!

I know here the above prices are about right and my aunt pays 40 pound for her acrylic l and p's because the technician is good!

Have you thought about charging a higher price but giving more discounts like refer a friend or 20% of 6th treatment so that way your clients feel as if they are getting a high quality but affordable treatment?

I was gonna say something like above. If u want to get people in, if u say u eventually want to charge £40 for a full set do offers for 50% off and people will think they are gettin an amazing bargain, then once u have got yr experience behind u it's not so hard to put yr prices up and by then u should have built up a good reputation! And people will come to u coz they like u as well. People pay for - price, product, person! So u need to get the Chinese out yr head and go on what u want to achieve. I'm one of the most expensive nail techs in my area and I have a waiting list till after Xmas and work from 9am-7pm mon - fri! So just go on what u think u are worth in a few years time then half it (or what ever u feel comfortable with % wise) hope that helps x

Charge according to your level of Training, Experience and Products used.

Look at other similar people to you, with your level of Education in your area and don't even think about trying to compete price wise with the lowest in your area.

There will always be a wide spread of Service costs all over the UK but remember and charge what you are worth NOT what others are charging!

Good Luck!

I dont do nails myself but am looking in to it. Personally I wouldn't start my prices really low unless you state they are a offer and normally £ x amount what ever you will charge. I say this because if you start really low and then increase your prices, I think you will lose clients as they wont want to pay more than what they was before. I agree with above statments with loyaty cards and refer a friend. Or group discounts say 3 people all have it done together at 1 house for x amount or something like that. Hope this helps. Good luck hope you do well.

Charge what you feel is worth your time, skill & products.

HOWEVER, it is all location dependant. I commented on a thread the other day about just how much the location in the country can vary the price you can charge. Basically, if the town you are in is full of higher class/paid people then you will get better clients than what others who are in lower class regions where people are just looking for cheap deals.

There is nowhere in the town i'm in that charges more than £25 for a full set of L&P, most places where i am charge £20 for basic acrylics, £25 for something special.
I charge £20 for Gelish, most places NSS & normal nail salons charge £15 for Shellac.

Latest posts

Back