Prices?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hard-as-Nailz

Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to know what you charge for just painting the nails with one colour? and how much would you charge for freehand nail art on the hands?

I know a place near me who charge £5 for nail art on both hands but i would not be making alot of profit charging £5 - what do you think?

Just bumping this up a bit as i really would like some feedback on prices... thanks x

I presume you mean freehand nail art and not airbrushing?

I think £5 for both hands is a little cheap. Is this as an individual price or an add-on? What i mean is - is the £5 an add-on price to a manicure/pedicure treatment?

If you are going to make a commercial decision then you have to look at what you do in a commercial way ... i.e. how much TIME does it take for you to do the job??

THE BIGGEST PROBLEM IN OUR INDUSTRY IS THAT TECHNICIANS HAVE LITTLE OR NO COMMERCIAL EXPERIENCE AND TEND TO DO WHAT THEY SEE OTHERS DOING OR CHARGE WHAT THEY SEE OTHERS CHARGING !!

TROUBLE IS THAT THE PEOPLE THEY ARE COPYING HAVE NO COMMERCIAL EXPERIENCE EITHER AND ... SO IT GOES ON. THIS IS THE REASON WHY SO MANY SHORT-CHANGE THEM SELVES AND DO NOT CHARGE AS THEY SHOULD BE CHARGING. IT IS ALSO THE REASON WHY SO MANY CLIENTS HAVE THE WRONG IDEA AS TO WHAT THESE ADD ON SERVICES SHOULD COST.

If it takes 10 minutes to polish then you must charge for 10 minutes. Say .50 per minute = 5.00. THAT IS ASSUMING YOU WANT TO MAKE 30.00 PER HOUR ... I would not take a penny less than this.

If you are offering nail art, then it is up to you to time what you do and then do the service in that time and charge the correct price. Work it out like that.

yes, i was talking about freehand nail art and the £5 being the total price of the nail art on 10 fingers - this is very cheap isnt it?! especially as some of the designs that i do are very complicated and use quite a bit of products e.g.rhinestones and nail art paints. i just dont see how i would make a profit at all.

Preggo Babe said:
yes, i was talking about freehand nail art and the £5 being the total price of the nail art on 10 fingers - this is very cheap isnt it?! especially as some of the designs that i do are very complicated and use quite a bit of products e.g.rhinestones and nail art paints. i just dont see how i would make a profit at all.

If her free hand nail art only takes 10 minutes to do, then 5.00 is a perfectly good price. I could do some flicks and rhinestones in 10 minutes.

But if it takes longer then she should be charging accordingly. Most peeps do not make a penny out of their nail art for the very reason that they do not charge for the time it has taken them. No commercial sense as I said above.

You must think commercially whether it is nail art or just a plain polish you are applying THAT was my point.

i have been charging roughly £10 for a medium complicated design, which would take me roughly an hour to finish both hands. i think this price is the lowest i should charge. but because this local place charges £5 whatever alot of people i know go there because they get thier extensions done there and it is cheap - but i have found that you cannot get whatever design you want in whatever colour, it is very limited but people settle for it because it is so cheap, whereas i can offer i would say nearly any design in any colours.

x

10.00 for an hours work?? NOT commercial. Did you read my posts?? :lol:

Yes i have read your posts, thank you. I have been charging £10 to people i know, and as i said this is the lowest i would charge. i have only been doing nail art since last year, whereas you have been doing nails since 1986 so obviously we are going to differ where the prices we charge come in, the more experienced i get obviously the price will go up, as well as the fact that the more nails i do the quicker i will get at doing them so.... i was simply asking for an opinion about the £5 being too low a price which i'm guessing it is!

Preggo Babe said:
i have been charging roughly £10 for a medium complicated design, which would take me roughly an hour to finish both hands. i think this price is the lowest i should charge. but because this local place charges £5 whatever alot of people i know go there because they get thier extensions done there and it is cheap - but i have found that you cannot get whatever design you want in whatever colour, it is very limited but people settle for it because it is so cheap, whereas i can offer i would say nearly any design in any colours.

x

I think these places often lump nail art in as 'part of the service', and clients sometimes just expect nail art to be cheap. why not promote it and offer it as a completely different service? Let clients know that too, that way you could charge more than what you are at the moment? :)

yes, i suppose it is a different service to the one at the salon, as they do not offer anything the client wants, they just do a limited selection which is obviously a way that they keep thier costs down. just out of interest i cant understand why they are so cheap - as they charge £25 for a full set of acrylics and £15 for infills too!

x

Preggo Babe said:
yes, i suppose it is a different service to the one at the salon, as they do not offer anything the client wants, they just do a limited selection which is obviously a way that they keep thier costs down. just out of interest i cant understand why they are so cheap - as they charge £25 for a full set of acrylics and £15 for infills too!

x

The letters NSS spring to mind here - but I may be very wrong.

Have a look at this link : http://www.thenailgeek.com/general-articles/31808-nss-exactly-what-does-mean.html

Its the last paragraph that will make you understand why they can charge less.

Sounds to me like they are NSS after reading that article!! they do use electric drills with which they ground my friend's nail right down until it was sore and come to think of it they NEVER sanitise thier tools or workspace! oh well, at least i know now... thanks for the advice.

x

maybe charge 'from £5.00' for your nail art - charge £5 for the simple designs that take 10-15mins as geeg said & for the designs that take 1hr maybe charge £20-£30.
i also charge £7.00 for a file & polish
hth xxxxxx

Latest posts

Back