Problems going golden/honey/caramel- help please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitty_862

Reaction score
Hi,

I just wanted some advice as basically, I have been trying to get my hair to a more golden blonde for AGES now and it seems like I never get the colour I want despite taking pictures in etc. I don't know if it's that my hair just won't take the colour or am I just not explaining myself properly?

My hair used to be all over bleach, but I think most if not all of that has grown out now but my hair is still very light as I have bleached highlights mixed in with some darker blonde (tint?). I don't know as I am not a hairdresser! So, I've been trying to go a lot more natural golden the last few times- having foils put through that are closer to my natural base (very dark dirty blonde). But it hardly seems to be getting any darker??

My hairdresser says it will take a few goes, but it's going to be years at this rate! I can see the more golden ones at my regrowth where it is not as bleaches but they don't seem to grab all the way down.

So I mentioned that maybe I should just go a lot darker all over and have a few highlights through to speed up the process and she mentioned that she would have to pre-pig my hair But I'm not convinced it will turn out right since my hair doesn't seem to have changed much so far! And should she have been doing that to get the darker lowlights in the first place?

I don't want to be one of 'those' customers, but I don't want to keep paying for something I'm not happy with. Am I being unrealistic?

I have attached some pics of the colour my hair is now and the colour I would like it. Thanks!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Kitty862/24253_10150113391085403_676110402_1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Kitty862/04eef.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Kitty862/02-1.jpg

i would expect the colour to fade on the bleach a little . Have you thought about less hi lites , more colour? maybe ask for a few foils to break up the regrowth and a golden semi over the lengths and ends?

Yes I think I do have colours put through. One close to my own colour, a gold and a gold toner but they don't seem to grab and wash out really quick! I just have a few bleach foils on my regrowth so it's not too different to the rest of my hair. And I actually brought pics of lots of golden styles with me, but it is still pretty light and more cool that warm toned :(

Do you think the colour will go alot darker like the one in the pic if she pre pigments it? I'm dubious that it will take it my low lights don't.

Personally id suggest to go for afew scattered hilites and then a semi too There is alot more of the darker colour than hilites that is a very acheivable colour to go in one go.

Do you think the colour will go alot darker like the one in the pic if she pre pigments it? I'm dubious that it will take it my low lights don't.

As this is not your own hair in the pictures you posted ....it would be very hard to advise you ,
your hairdresser may not be able to go too dark just yet, in case of grab that may occur on any bleached porous parts that may still be present in the hair

What you need to do is book in for a colour
consultation ask to look at a suitable colour chart to pick out a few warm dark blonde / light warm brown shades that you like
and ask her to perform some test pieces for you ,

this way there is no guess work involved and you will see if the colours chosen will turn out nice, then you can see exactly what colours will be achievable on your bleached hair :) minky

Adding golden tones to bleached hair can be tricky as the porous bleached ends will absorb the gold tones and show up as quite matt.
Strictly speaking your hairdresser should use a semi(cleaner colour) in an orange gold with a touch of a pinky pigment. That will counter the porosity/absorption problem and leave you with a honey tone.
Failing that, come to London and I'll sort it out x

yes , i agree with you persionista , i didnt want to over complicate or confuse! Also i would recommend conditioning treatments and colour shampoos and mousses in a warm blonde tone to help build up the colour

As this is not your own hair in the pictures you posted ....it would be very hard to advise you ,

The first pic is my own hair!

But thank you for advice :)

Adding golden tones to bleached hair can be tricky as the porous bleached ends will absorb the gold tones and show up as quite matt.
Strictly speaking your hairdresser should use a semi(cleaner colour) in an orange gold with a touch of a pinky pigment. That will counter the porosity/absorption problem and leave you with a honey tone.
Failing that, come to London and I'll sort it out x

Where in London are you? :o

The first pic is my own hair!

But thank you for advice :)

Wow really :eek: I thought they were all models and film stars , :lol: you are pretty enough to be one :)
and your hair in the photo looks in pretty good condition , certainly enough to be re coloured ,

so yes you could ask for some test pieces to be done and see what colours you like first ,
most good hairdressers will offer this service and do this for you , or why not go to Persianista ? it would be well worth it as we all know a woman's hair is their crowning glory :hug: x minky

Wow really :eek: I thought they were all models and film stars , :lol: you are pretty enough to be one :)
and your hair in the photo looks in pretty good condition , certainly enough to be re coloured ,

so yes you could ask for some test pieces to be done and see what colours you like first ,
most good hairdressers will offer this service and do this for you , or why not go to Persianista ? it would be well worth it as we all know a woman's hair is their crowning glory :hug: x minky

Hehe, thanks :o The first is me, the second 2 are both Mary Kate Olsen. I love that caramel colour! I might even go to Persianista- although London could be pricey :|

Hehe, thanks :o The first is me, the second 2 are both Mary Kate Olsen. I love that caramel colour! I might even go to Persianista- although London could be pricey :|

Hi, would you consider going to your local FE college and book in with the level three stylists ? as they are all fully trained already and are always after these types of colour corrections and colour work ,

They will all be experienced trained hairdressers, just doing their advanced colouring techniques and corrections , they are all very well supervised by well trained Tutors who will help and guide them to pick out the best tones and colours ,
and they are not too expensive either ,
perhaps give them a ring :)

I'm in Chislehurst. PM me if you want salon details x

Latest posts

Back