Problems removing UV gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacie23292

Reaction score
Hello my name is stacie
I am unsure if i am posting in the correct place but here goes...
I have recently passed a uv gel and gel polish nail course and to practice i purchased from our local 'sallys' salon services uv gel nail kit.
All went fine extension application went lovely and looked really nice. Apart from early removal needed due to lifting. So i proceeded by cutting down the extension tip and filing,wrapping the nails in lint free pads acetone soaked then wrapped in foil. I waited 10 mins with no movement at all so waited longer again the same. I ended up leaving for 45mins with no movement at all, in fact it seemed to be harder and i had to scratch it away.
Any idea what's gone wrong?

I wouldn't of used lint free pads, I wouldn't of thought it would have soaked enough acetone in it to lift the gel.. Or you're using a hard gel and not a soak off in which case you'd have to file them off.. :)

Thank you for your reply.
As far as im concerned im using a soak off gel but will now double check as i also tryed Keeping the fingers in the acetone liquid.

Which brand are you using? only a few are soak off... I don't think Sally's stock soak off (?! Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I was thinking Maibe u left the acetone foil to long. if acetone its left to long it can evaporate if not covered completely.

Some great points here already. To build on them:
- If the gel is a hard gel, it won't remove (easily) in a solvent. Always a good idea here to file the product as thin as possible, optionally letting it grow out after that
- If the cotton/lint free pad didn't hold enough solvent, that will work against you as they will quickly become clogged with dissolved product
- The solvent will have also quickly evaporated and most likely not really been doing a whole lot after 25 mins or so. Would suggest changing out after that period of time

Hope this helps

Hello my name is stacie
I am unsure if i am posting in the correct place but here goes...
I have recently passed a uv gel and gel polish nail course and to practice i purchased from our local 'sallys' salon services uv gel nail kit.
All went fine extension application went lovely and looked really nice. Apart from early removal needed due to lifting. So i proceeded by cutting down the extension tip and filing,wrapping the nails in lint free pads acetone soaked then wrapped in foil. I waited 10 mins with no movement at all so waited longer again the same. I ended up leaving for 45mins with no movement at all, in fact it seemed to be harder and i had to scratch it away.
Any idea what's gone wrong?

Salon services UV gel kit is a hard gel and can't be removed easily in acetone. If you soaked it until their fingers dropped off the gel would still be attached. I made exactly the same mistake years ago when I first started doing gel.

Removal is by filing with a corse grit file then going down to a sanding block. Then using your buffing to bring back the shine. If using hard gel be aware that when you remove it. Not to file the natural nails. But that's stating the obvious (sorry).

If I'm using soak off gel then I use cotton wool disks cut into quarters and they fit perfect over the nail. They hold loads of acetone. I'm not surprised you are confused, salon services are little devils when it comes to descriptions and directions. Although they are good value there are easier to use products on the market.

Latest posts

Back