Problems with colour remover (Eraser)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronray

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I have used affinage eraser twice this week and have been really disappointed.
Hopefully someone can help or recommend a better product.
1st client : was a base 44/0 wanting a 5/0. I followed the instructions thoroughly it removed all traces of the previous 44/0 so I applied 6/0 with 6% and it went straight back to 44/0. I followed all the instructions and used 6% as recommended in the instructions.
2nd clients was a 55/0 wanted a 6/7 so again I followed the instructions thoroughly, no sign of the darker colour after step 3, but after applying 7/7 and 6% it went back to the 55/0 on the mid lengths. I have used them in the past with great results! I just don't know what to do I'm losing faith in this product!

I hate colour reducers I don’t trust them at all they are too much hassle I prefer to bleach colour out u no exactleu where your upto then.

I hate colour reducers I don’t trust them at all they are too much hassle I prefer to bleach colour out u no exactleu where your upto then.
The only thing I find with bleaching, is that not many people are willing to put up with the warmth that bleaching reveals. I'm not against it by all means, I use both methods depending on the clients hair and needs lol.
But what I like about colour reducers is that there's no damage!

Sounds like you’re just not rinsing it for long enough if it’s going back to the original colour.
You really need to rinse for a minimum of 5 minutes and keep agitating the hair thoroughly. It’s like emptying a bean bag and trying to get all the tiny beads out. Maybe have another read of the sticky thread to understand how they work. After the rinse stage apply developer on a section and leave for five minutes to see if any molecules are left behind. If there are, they will re-oxidise and expand turning the hair darker again. You do need to allow plenty of time and don’t rush it.

Sounds like you’re just not rinsing it for long enough if it’s going back to the original colour.
You really need to rinse for a minimum of 5 minutes and keep agitating the hair thoroughly. It’s like emptying a bean bag and trying to get all the tiny beads out. Maybe have another read of the sticky thread to understand how they work. After the rinse stage apply developer on a section and leave for five minutes to see if any molecules are left behind. If there are, they will re-oxidise and expand turning the hair darker again. You do need to allow plenty of time and don’t rush it.
As I say I followed the instructions thoroughly including rinsing for 5 minutes then the 4 cleans shampoos, then 50mls of part 3, 40 mls of water and 10mls of 6%.massaging into the hair for 3 minutes.
I understand that it reduces the size of the colour molecule, which allows it to be rinsed from the hair essentially. I've used them in the past and had great results, and with nxt colour remover. But for some reason the last 2 just didn't turn out how it usually does. I never neglect the instructions as I understand its such an important process, I read the instructions every time I do one.
It took me quite a few hours so I definitely don't think I rushed and don't feel like I cut corners (not my style), I timed all the processes with a digital timer too for accuracy.
The only other thing I can think of is that the water isn't warm enough? Could that be a possibility?

As I say I followed the instructions thoroughly including rinsing for 5 minutes then the 4 cleans shampoos, then 50mls of part 3, 40 mls of water and 10mls of 6%.massaging into the hair for 3 minutes.
I understand that it reduces the size of the colour molecule, which allows it to be rinsed from the hair essentially. I've used them in the past and had great results, and with nxt colour remover. But for some reason the last 2 just didn't turn out how it usually does. I never neglect the instructions as I understand its such an important process, I read the instructions every time I do one.
It took me quite a few hours so I definitely don't think I rushed and don't feel like I cut corners (not my style), I timed all the processes with a digital timer too for accuracy.
The only other thing I can think of is that the water isn't warm enough? Could that be a possibility?

It’s certainly a possibility.
It sounds like you’ve done everything correctly so I can only make a guess at what might be wrong.
What did the hair look like after you did a test patch?
If it’s very saturated by colour from repeat colouring, you will need to re-do it up to 3 times to remove all the molecules. Doing the test patch with peroxide afterwards will tell you if it needs re-applying. If someone has been using permanent colour box dyes for instance, I’d assume they’ve reapplied over the whole head rather than touch up the roots so I’d bank on having to do it twice at least.

It’s certainly a possibility.
It sounds like you’ve done everything correctly so I can only make a guess at what might be wrong.
What did the hair look like after you did a test patch?
If it’s very saturated by colour from repeat colouring, you will need to re-do it up to 3 times to remove all the molecules. Doing the test patch with peroxide afterwards will tell you if it needs re-applying. If someone has been using permanent colour box dyes for instance, I’d assume they’ve reapplied over the whole head rather than touch up the roots so I’d bank on having to do it twice at least.
On the first lady it removed more colour than I expected it was a very warm 7 after completing the process including the revealer and drying. But thinking about it now I should have done it a second time I guess as she did dye it herself quite a few times.
The second client only had professional colour in her hair it was a root blend done by someone else, it was a 5/0 on root area and lightened to a base 8, but had a lot of build up of toners on the mle.
The target shade was a lighter root with a cleaner blonde ends, hence choosing a colour reducer, but I guess I'll just have to try doing 2 instead and see how I get on
Thank you very much for your help and taking the time to read through and reply, I do appreciate it :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back