Professional make up question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

San

Reaction score
Hello all

Don't know anything about makeup, but if you advertise yourself as using a certain brand, say MAC, would you do makeup on someone using Rimmel?

Why would you use rimmel if you have Mac products?

do you mean if you prefer one particular rimmel over Mac?

Not sure but I would imagine you would have to be careful on advertising a brand if you are not authorised to do so. Amy de Man may be able to help out with this one.

Hello all

Don't know anything about makeup, but if you advertise yourself as using a certain brand, say MAC, would you do makeup on someone using Rimmel?

Personally, I wouldn't advertise myself as using any makeup brand, as I'd prefer people to hire me based on my skills rather than the brand of makeup I use.

My kit is a huge mix of brands, mostly Chanel, NARS, Stila, MAC and Benefit, but then I have things like a couple of No7 eyeshadows and some bits and pieces from YSL because the colours and consistencies are just right. I do have one Rimmel product in my kit actually - their white kohl eyeliner, which I really rate for its staying power!

Why are you asking?

Told you Amy would be the person to ask!

Thanks Amy.

Sorry to be a bit vague. Its just that I was searching for a makeup artist for my wedding and not knowing any or anybody who has used one it turned to the internet. I chose this particular lady as I liked the pictures in her portfolio and she advertised herself as using MAC products. I booked for a trial and she arrived. She gave a very lenghty consultation where she asked me to look through loads of pics and say what i liked and disliked about them to get an idea of what I wanted.

I had a very definate look I was going for which was smokey, and a bit Jordanesque (bot not so heavy on the eyeliner).

I was very disappointed because the only mac product she used on me was the foundation. The eyeshadow was a Rimmel 3 in one which was pink and purples.

When I looked at the final thing (no mirror in the room) it was awful. The colours didn't suit me at all and there as powder dust under my eyes and on my cheeks.

I know I should have said something but to be honest I just wanted to get rid of her. She charged me £170 because i had already booked her for the date of the wedding (this was £40 for th trial the the remainder was the deposit.

I was just very disappointed.

That sounds steep! - if a client didnt want to go ahead with the wedding make up then we would charge for the trial, but they wouldn't incur any other charges unless it was a very late cancellation.

If an artist/salon is advertising the use of MAC or any other brand then IMO that should be the primary product used with maybe one or two other products due to personal preference. I guess this is the problem with advertising the use of a brand as it limits your scope to go with personal preferences.

Some Leicester geeks might be able to recommend a make up artist?

that's terrible, you should definately cancel her, if she says that you can not be refunded then you should ask for another trial at no extra expense as your not confident with what she did last time, also don't hesitate to ask her about why she advertises using mac products and then didn't use them fully.

i agree with amy, i never advertise which products i use, which is a whole different range from everyone as my customers choose me on my skills alone.

try asking a college or beauty school for some one.

good luck

jenny:confused:

Thanks, for your advice. I have actually contacted her because I have cancelled my wedding now anyway due to my my passing away last month. I just don't want to do it without having her there.

Anyway, I have asked her for a refund of my deposit, so hopefully she will oblige. I'll keep you updated

I always give the client what they want. i have noticed that those who say they you are using a particular brand do this to justify their prices.

I use a few bits of different types of make-up, I sell the lipsticks to the client if they want it.

Latest posts

Back