Protein mask on hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherryglitter

Reaction score
hey,
I have got a protein mask for my hair as its in need of it but I also have extensions in. Would it be okay to use the protein mask with the extensions? because the hair is in good condition.... Thanks :)

What kind of extensions do you have?
It's not reccomended to use protein masks on keratin bonds. It's okay to use protein once in a while, but too much protein disrupts the moisture/protein balance in the hair, and makes the hair actually more brittle and causes over keratinazation.
I'd stick with moisture based on the extensions, cause it will make the hair softer and more managable. Especially when you're dealing with extensions, cause that hair has gone through a lot of chemical treatments to get it to the right color and texture.

Have you tried Olaplex on hair extensions, it really works great. You can add a moisture treatment afterwards too, but I find the Olaplex does the trick.

What kind of extensions do you have?
It's not reccomended to use protein masks on keratin bonds. It's okay to use protein once in a while, but too much protein disrupts the moisture/protein balance in the hair, and makes the hair actually more brittle and causes over keratinazation.
I'd stick with moisture based on the extensions, cause it will make the hair softer and more managable. Especially when you're dealing with extensions, cause that hair has gone through a lot of chemical treatments to get it to the right color and texture.
Euphoria stick tips, do you think I should wait till I take them out and just do it on my own hair?

Euphoria stick tips, do you think I should wait till I take them out and just do it on my own hair?

I'm not familiar with that brand as I'm in Canada and we don't carry that brand here. But they are Keratin based tips right? Too much protein placed over the bond can disintegrate them and make them start slipping. That's what I was tought.
Just hold off on the protein for the extensions, they are still in good shape as you mentioned, and stick to moisture based treatments which will keep them soft, manageable, and tangle free.
Adding too much protein where it's not needed just makes the hair brittle and prone too breakage.

Latest posts

Back