Pulling my hair out over logo!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struckbyastar

Reaction score
I was going to post this in business but not sure where it belongs....I've got a creative brain but my art often doesn't reach my finger tips... I have THE perfect logo/font design in my head but I can't find anyone who can recreate it. I've spoken to a couple of graphic designers who said they've not heard anything like it and will give it a go but all these come with a price tag before having even seen a working draft. I'm more knowledgeable than the average Joe on graphic design software but I can't find a way to make the effect without spending hundreds on Photoshop! I thought the effect I wanted would be really easy too :(

I just want it to look like I've written my business name in nail polish, all shiny and 3d glossy.. I've even spent the last two hours using my favourite coloured polish writing it out and I STILL can't get the effect to come across properly on camera!!!
Thinking it's time to settle, for whatever logo, as its the one big thing stopping me from properly getting out there and getting myself going :(

Anyone else ever had a problem like this?! It's sending my "low mood" through the roof, as it were! :/

Have you tried Carl at Verve Designs?

No, but I think it might be time to! So frustrating!! To the naked eye, what I did by hand in polish looks good but photographing it, even with a light box, it loses the effect! Think to be honest my biggest worry is I know EXACTLY what I want in my head and that no one will be able to replicate it!

I was the same and Carl came up with exactly what I wanted for mine

Another vote for Carl. He didnt do my actual logo, but has done everything else for me & sourced matching images so that the background on all my printed stuff matches my logo <3

Hes a star at giving you what you want! Xx

Carl has been emailed :) fingers crossed! X

He did mine too and tweaked it till I was happy x

Verve can't do it :(

Yep, the main bit of what I want he can't do :(

Have you come across a piece of software called GIMP? It's a great image editing program that has most of the same features as photoshop... but it's FREE!

It's almost permanently open on my laptop and I used it to create my logo - granted, mine is pretty simple, but if you know what you want, and you think it could be done with Photoshop, then I'd definitely recommend giving GIMP a go :)

Here's a link to their site: https://www.gimp.org/

Thanks Cheeka, yes, I have GIMP, but it's too primitive for what I need.. I used to use professional photoshop, but since I moved to a Mac I no longer can use it! :( Think I have to admit defeat and find another logo :(

Try @BannerPenguin its slightly more expensive than verve but they might be able to help, other than that go over to fb and find vicki Nicholson, she runs a branding page & does logos herself and also has a lot of graphic design friends, I'm 100% sure someone in the branding group can help with this, also contact abridged designs, she did a brilliant background logo for me. it's disappointing when your vision doesn't get brought to life isn't it, I had a vision of my shop name with a sunset inside the letters looking all amazing but after working with Karl (who doesn't do that sort of thing) I ended up with something that I think now is actually better :)

I've messaged BannerPenguin. I found Vicki Nicholson but unfortunately as I'm only starting out and have a full time job "on the side" I cant afford and/or justify spending £300+ on it.. :/ so frustrating! Hopefully I'll hear from BannerPenguin tomorrow... x

I've messaged BannerPenguin. I found Vicki Nicholson but unfortunately as I'm only starting out and have a full time job "on the side" I cant afford and/or justify spending £300+ on it.. :/ so frustrating! Hopefully I'll hear from BannerPenguin tomorrow... x
Join the group she runs there's a lot of other designers on there, Jenny from abridged design is great too, she made this for me for £10 :) I know it's not what your looking for but I found Jenny on one of the branding groups, it was my original vision, which couldn't be achieved by verve, perhaps if you post in the group someone else could help? I'm in lots of groups like that so I'll save this thread & as I come across the designers I'll post links here, I'm sure something will be perfect soon :)

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    129 KB · Views: 51
Thank you; do you know the name of the Facebook group? I found abridged designs website but there's nothing on there about logo design. I feel i might end up buying photoshop and eating beans for a month!! X

Thank you; do you know the name of the Facebook group? I found abridged designs website but there's nothing on there about logo design. I feel i might end up buying photoshop and eating beans for a month!! X
Hiya - just to say I've replied to your initial e-mail however after reading this thread we are very likely to be the sort of quote you had before in the hundreds.

We are Mac users here in the office and you can get Adobe CC Photoshop for a price per month if that's a route you want to go down however I wouldn't actually recommend making logos in Photoshop. They're not scalable for future use in signage etc and never are 100% crisp in print compared to Adobe Illustrator. Reason being photoshop is bitmap based and Illustrator is vector based. Most people wouldn't notice the difference but a trained eye, I can certainly tell the difference on a print run.

The sort of effect you're after is much better suited to Illustrator and would all be hand drawn vectors with effects and gradients to achieve what you want.

I know this might not be what you want to hear but unfortunately, the average cost of a designer is £40-50 per hour and this is a fair amount of hours including revisions you might want to make.

Does anyone have the fb link for vicki nicholson?

Another vote for Carl. He didnt do my actual logo, but has done everything else for me & sourced matching images so that the background on all my printed stuff matches my logo <3

Hes a star at giving you what you want! Xx
Ditto for me!

Latest posts

Back