Purely Nail Art

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissylaw

Reaction score
Hi All

Ok so this is my first post and I am seriously new to the whole nail scene and indeed forum one hehe!

I am just about to start a Nail Art Course from Essential Nails. I have heard mixed reviews about them on the forum however as I am not doing extensions I am not too worried about the lack of hands on support.

I am not a nail person myself (and as one of my main hobbies is rock climbing mine are always chopped short) I am HOWEVER a really arty / crafty person will tons of experience from painting to jewellery design and so thought Nail Art would be perfect for me and my short nails.

So MY QUESTION is what sort of opportunities are there out there for someone who ONLY does nail art, and do the majority of people who like nail art usually have extensions as well. I am wondering if long term will I need to learn an extension trade in order to get any nail art customers? Or are there customer who like to jazz up their own nails?

Many Thanks to anyone who replies.

Kind Regards

Hi All

Ok so this is my first post and I am seriously new to the whole nail scene and indeed forum one hehe!

I am just about to start a Nail Art Course from Essential Nails. I have heard mixed reviews about them on the forum however as I am not doing extensions I am not too worried about the lack of hands on support.

I am not a nail person myself (and as one of my main hobbies is rock climbing mine are always chopped short) I am HOWEVER a really arty / crafty person will tons of experience from painting to jewellery design and so thought Nail Art would be perfect for me and my short nails.

So MY QUESTION is what sort of opportunities are there out there for someone who ONLY does nail art, and do the majority of people who like nail art usually have extensions as well. I am wondering if long term will I need to learn an extension trade in order to get any nail art customers? Or are there customer who like to jazz up their own nails?

Many Thanks to anyone who replies.

Kind Regards

Hi Chrissy and welcome to the salon geek.

Good questions from you.

There certainly are clients who love nail art on their natural nails, but I have to say they are few and far between to make a business out of solely nail art. The main reason being that they need to have long lovely natural nails that are all the same length to look really good, and not many do. :green: This is where nail enhancement comes in to play.

When nails are enhanced, the artist has the perfect canvas on which to work and on which to display their art work. all the nails look equal (if done by a good tech) and the surface is perfect and smooth (a rarity with natural nails).

Good news is that if you are really arty, you will be a good nail technician, for in my experience it is impossible to have the X factor with nails unless you are an artist. Plenty learn the skills and do OK nails but the ones with the X factor are few and far between (same in anything, hair, beauty, carpentry ... whatever job you may have that involves manual dexterity).

So to answer your questions based on my experience:
So MY QUESTION is what sort of opportunities are there out there for someone who ONLY does nail art, I would say next to none in fairnessand do the majority of people who like nail art usually have extensions as well? I would say yes. I am wondering if long term will I need to learn an extension trade in order to get any nail art customers? I would say most certainly, yesOr are there customer who like to jazz up their own nails? Yes there are, but to make a whole business of I would say no. Maybe a nice hobby.

Many thanks for your message it has inspired me so much that I have decided to learn acrylic tips with liquid and powder so I can get a much bigger canvas as you put it! It has really opened me up to the possibilities and now what became and extension of my love to paint has turned into a full time hobby, many thanks ;-)

Welcome to nails! Now grab some tips get a little polish or paint and practice!! I didnt have any customers for a while but I painted hundreds of tips and its a great way to practice and mostly its just fun!! The possibilities are endless. And although alot of people just want something basic, if you hone your skills and display the work your proud of you will get people asking for art. Especially for toes! Thats a great way to ease them into it. I think its definetely a good idea to learn to do an enhancement as it will make you more valuable. Most of all, have fun!!

I agree nail art is my thing too i do not do extensions but my natural nails are always being painted up but we are few and far between people seem to want both so the course will do you good if you feel that is the way you would like to go, good luck

adell

Hi nail delights thanks for your post your website has some lovely items do you stock any of the packs of sliced cane pieces?
Kind regards

i have not got sliced canes at present may have some in the future as i keep getting request so keep an eye adell

Many thanks I already have my eye on one of your stamper set and a few other goodies so will no doubt be Internet shopping to my hearts content!
Kind regards

hi chrissy just saying hi and good luck with the nail art course with EN, i too have just started this exact course and also the EN airbrush course.
i have completed the acrylic overlay with EN and am awaiting grading. if you could do with any pointers or anything just send me a pm although i am no pro:) i think it wold be nice to be able to give each other advice as we are doing the exact same course.
good luck
jo

Latest posts

Back