qualifications????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEAUTY4U

Reaction score
looking for some advice for my friend as i dont know so here goes shes been working for a salon for 8 1/2 years they trained her from the start and is fully trained shes has her own clients etc right but she doesnt actually have paper saying shes qualified to do aspects of hair like certificates and its only started to annoy her recently and when i had said to her what would happen if you went to another salon and didnt actually have proof she said that as her boss told her that she would tell them she is salon trained not college trained so therefore they would know she wont have papers as such?? does this make sense i told her i dont really know how this would work ?

I'd suggest she went to college part time and did a "fast track" hair course Level 1 & 2 as I can't see many salons accepting her without qualifications (probaly for insurance) if she's knowledgeable and has the skills she'll sail through the course no worries it would probally cost her depending on her age but then at least she can carry on her job everywhere:)

see i told her that but she said that means she would have to spend few years at college would she not and the fast track courses are expensive i told her i dont know what else i could suggest shes a year younger than me so shes 24 x

It wouldn't be years, there is a one year fast track course, this is based at older students, parents, career changers and students who want to refresh their skills and I'm pretty sure part time and full time is available. It's fast paced so being that she knows what she's doing she could well get through this course a lot quicker than normal and be all done.

I don't know how much it would cost but being under 25 I'm sure it's slightly cheaper...She should do it now though in case she wants to leave her current salon but can't find a job due to no papers she may have to stay there an extra year and that's so frustrating when you want to move on from a salon.

I don't think many salons would be confident in employing her without her papers, even though she is a fully qualified hair stylist in her right but it would cast doubt over a future employer and make her chances slim. I struggled in the past only having level 2 and not the full 3 years let alone no papers lol

thats great il give her a call just now and tell her she doesnt want to leave the salon shes in just now i think shes maybe just thought about it and now thinking what if i dont actually know what brought it on but il say to her i keep telling her to join this site as its great for things like this lol

oh dee thats great i didnt even know there was that lol i foned her about the other advice and i said to her if u were to go to a salon how could u prove you can do hairdressing and she said her boss would give her a reference saying he has fully trained her in all aspects and do a trade test to prove her skills but i said to her what if you and your boss part on bad terms etc il tell her about that council thing thats great x

Hi : )

I did the exact same thing,

I got a job in a salon, the manager had me work for him as a stylist, he trained me,and i thought this was great,as i didnt have to go to college,and i was getting a "proper" wage, i had a full column everyday, i was rung ragged,and i was on less than min wage,as he was "training" me?

Looking back i was so stupid, but i was only 16 to start with, and i thought this man was the best hairdresser in the world,lol! i was totally in awe of him!

4 years later i realised this wasnt right,left,and obviously couldnt get employment anywhere, so i had to go back to college, i went and did a 2 year nvq 1&2 ,it was over 2 years, 2 and a half days week,and cost around £2000 and flew through it,i wish id of never met that man!
saying that i did really enjoy the college course,loved college,as i was older,and everyone wanted to be theremas apose to just being there to get there EMA,and i did learn quite alot of things that i didnt in salon.now nothing is more valuable than my certs : )
x

Hey there, I did a 6 month fast track course i finished in november and Im still waiting for my certificate, i got a letter from the college to say I completed the nvq level 2 though so I could bring this to interviews. Can you not get a reference from your college perhaps?? x

There are so many routes she could take, if she didnt have qualifications.

She could ideally go for the college route, full or part time.
She could ask if they will accept her on level 2 as conversion form prior experience.
Or she could go to numerous brands and do parts of courses, ie basic cutting, basic colouring etc which is more fast tracked of those with hairdressing experience, and she could build it up as she goes on.
She can volutntry as her empolyer if they have the means to be an acreditied nvq level etc. She could do an home acess course, She really has a load of options!

Make sure you tell her not to resent that she has no qualifications but has the skill that some hds cant even get! I bet you time will fly by as she'll posses experience on colour correction and common mishaps before everyone else, but she'll gain more knowledge and confidence with the qualifications! hths xoxo

I don't know this industry however, to get insurance you need to provide proof of qualifications and without a certificate of training how can you prove to the underwriters that you are qualified? I don't think they would just accept on the job training unless they were going to hike up the insurance premium.

Another thing she could do is get a job at junior level in a salon who are willing to send her through college...They also might be quite confindent in paying if they know she already has the skills and knowledge she'd maybe also have to discuss getting a full wage and not an aprentship wage (which is only equivlent to working part time)

hi all thanks so much for all the advice i called my friend and said to her all the possibilities and she says shes going to think long and hard i know she doesnt want to have to go to college fopr a couple of years as she feels like this would mean starting from scratch i can see her point but she says she thinks contacting the hairdressing council thing sounds good i seen their website and it says if she gets a letter from employer stating shes did a full apprentice etc and he has fully trained her she could get a diploma from them its such a hard things as honestly girls she is an amazing hairdresser she puts me to shame lol it would be sad if she had to go away back to college but all your replies have all been really helpful and shes going to really think about what to do thanks alot xx

My salon insurance states that all stylists must be qualified, so it is worth getting the certs, as she is possibly working uninsured at the moment

Not sure if they do it in your area but you can do a train to gain where you can do it in your salon have a look into it.

Yes I tutor and have many salon staff in for there fast track, it's now regulatory for the stylists to do there health and safety along with there other modules, due to the public liability insurance. Take my advice it will take no time at all due to you having salon experience.

Latest posts

Back