Qualified hair extension technician - should I train in hairdressing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lady_mai

Reaction score
Good Afternoon people,

So I am currently in a well paid job full time and for 6 years around my full time job I have done hair extensions and I love it!
I eventually want to take the leap and go self employed full time as I love the thought of owning my own business and seeing it grow. Extensions are my passion but I am aware it would take a LONG time to get fully booked with extensions ( full time job takes approx. £500 per week) . So it brought me to thinking of training as a hairdresser level 2. Ive always wanted to feel more comfortable with a pair of scissors!!
Do you think this is a good move or wouldn't you bother?
Can I make good money through extensions and hairdressing?
Do you think it will improve my hair extensions?learning different cuts ect

My idea is to set up at home in my spare room eventually

all feedback is welcome

thank youX

I've been doing extensions 4"5 years on the side of my job and set up a little salon in my salon too I'm in the last few weeks of my level 2 hair dressing and barbering and think it's one the best things I done, when you have clients that have the extensions removed you can give their hair a trim colour etc on top so def worth it in the long run

Give you another side to it say you can't match a colour or like me I was blonde and then wanted to go ombré with extension you would be able to do that service all at once so it's a plus side but the way you cut extensions is completely different to how you cut hair

I would definitely recommend you do a hairdressing course, it's better to actually know about hair and colours etc, the way you cut extensions is completely different from cutting normal hair but you will have a lot more knowledge about colouring and the actual clients hair

I've been doing extensions 4"5 years on the side of my job and set up a little salon in my salon too I'm in the last few weeks of my level 2 hair dressing and barbering and think it's one the best things I done, when you have clients that have the extensions removed you can give their hair a trim colour etc on top so def worth it in the long run

Aww thanks for that bit of confidence Sophie. I am so excited and so glad your business us taking off [emoji3]

Give you another side to it say you can't match a colour or like me I was blonde and then wanted to go ombré with extension you would be able to do that service all at once so it's a plus side but the way you cut extensions is completely different to how you cut hair

Yes exactly! I can complete the look. But you are right on the cutting of extensions I do need to do further courses on this x

I would definitely recommend you do a hairdressing course, it's better to actually know about hair and colours etc, the way you cut extensions is completely different from cutting normal hair but you will have a lot more knowledge about colouring and the actual clients hair

Thank you sg60 [emoji4]

I'm In the same boat, have decided to go for it and enrol on a part time hairdressing course for September. I've totally changed my career path after completing my Hair Extension course and found a new passion. So I say go for it, If we do what we have always done, we will get what we have always got! Good Luck :)

Latest posts

Back