Question about demineralizing treatment prior to Olaplex?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButterfieldAtBrown

Reaction score
For two years now, I have been desperately wanting to color my hair to a medium golden blonde. I have decided now, finally, that I am going to actually do it. However, my hair is in (what I consider to be) a bit of a banged up condition. In June 2013, I went to a salon and had my then blonde hair colored red. A few months later in December 2013, I had my hair "ombred" at the same salon. She applied the bleach quite far up the red, covered with foils, and went on her merry way. Just a few minutes after the application was completed, the foils got so hot they hurt my neck. I called her over, she unwrapped the foils, and the hair steamed. She immediately rinsed with cold water, but I lost several inches (I'm talking 4-6 inches) of my hair to both a chemical cut and a deliberate several-inch trim. She told me the heat was a reaction to something in my hair. Metals from another dye/hard water build up, we both assume. I still struggle with mild to moderate breakage, dryness, tangly-ness and split ends from that incident, but my hair in all actuality for what it went through, is pretty darn decent. I have been doing some research about olaplex and feel like my prayers have been answered. However, I am absolutely positively terrified that the same thing would happen to my hair. The already bleached, the last few inches of the red, and now, the few inches of my virgin hair on the very top (my hair is quite long). I read a post from a girl who had the same experience I had WHILE using olaplex. She still lost several inches to extreme damage. A representative from Olaplex commented and told her it was due to a chemical interaction similar to what my hairdresser guessed and that this could be prevented by doing a demineralizing treatment before bleaching. If I do Malibu C's demineralizing treatment before my olaplex appointment (since no salon near me offers a demineralizing treatment) will it combined with the Olaplex lower the risk of the same type of breakage/damage and allow me to get the color I want? I am NOT trying to go platinum by any means. Just a medium blonde. But I am so scared of the same thing happening and having to go from hair to my waist to a shoulder length bob just for some medium blonde hair. I am just looking for a little peace of mind. However, if the results I want are unlikely or hard to say whether or not the reaction would occur again even with a demineralizer and olaplex, please tell me up front. I would rather hate my current color but still have the integrity and the length than lighter, yet super insecurity-inducing short hair. Any advice is appreciated more than you know, even if it might not be what I want to hear. Thank you so much in advance.

You need to find a salon that will offer to do strand tests on your hair to see how it reacts to the chemicals being used. They cut small thin sections of hair from underneath where it won't be obvious and apply various mixes to see how they develop or react. I don't think they routinely offer this service at many salons in the U.S. so you might have to shop around.

Even if you use a chelating shampoo to remove excess minerals, you can't be sure that you have solved the problem. The reaction you had last time might have been caused by her applying too strong a bleach mix on your hair. How long were the foils on for before you felt the heat? If it's a reaction to minerals, it would have happened within about 5 mins of the bleach being applied.

If I were you I would forget about being blonder for now and just have olaplex treatments then once your hair is in better condition start using a chelating shampoo and then work towards your goal.

I hadn't been in foils very long at all. Probably just a few minutes like you said, but then again it is becoming harder to recall as it was almost two years ago now. It may have been too strong of a mixture like you mentioned, because I do remember her saying "you lightened better than I thought you would" as though she expected my hair to be difficult to lift.

You need to find a salon that will offer to do strand tests on your hair to see how it reacts to the chemicals being used. They cut small thin sections of hair from underneath where it won't be obvious and apply various mixes to see how they develop or react. I don't think they routinely offer this service at many salons in the U.S. so you might have to shop around.

Even if you use a chelating shampoo to remove excess minerals, you can't be sure that you have solved the problem. The reaction you had last time might have been caused by her applying too strong a bleach mix on your hair. How long were the foils on for before you felt the heat? If it's a reaction to minerals, it would have happened within about 5 mins of the bleach being applied.

You really need to work out if the problem is mineral build up and if so, where is it coming from?

Do you regularly swim in a treated pool or could the water at home have a high mineral content? You could get the water tested in both instances.

Even if you apply a de-mineralising treatment at home, you might need to do it more than once plus if you are rinsing your hair with the same water, you will be adding the minerals back into it.

Latest posts

Back