Question for mobile hairdressers?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannahsmith88

Reaction score
Hope this doesn't sound rude but I am wondering weather to go just wanted to know, What hours you work roughly? Do you enjoy it? And what licenses etc do you need also is using an accountant the best thing to do? And what are your outgoings?
Thank you

Last edited:
Really can't tell you my earnings, and now I'm married paying childcare etc. When I was single I worked 6 days a week, 13 hrs a day I paid my mortgage, drove a brand new car, owned a motorbike, had 2-3 holidays a year, wore designer clothes, but I lived to work, all I did was work, work, work, so they were the things I spent my money on rather than clubbing every night. Outgoings again that all depends on how busy you are, more work, more outgoings. I am registered with HMRC as self employed, pay NI by direct debit, have a pension, critical illness, public liability insurance and an accountant.

Don't think I've missed anything out, it all sounds confusing but it's easy when you know how!

Hi thanks for your reply, I work 46 hours a week in a salon at the moment but I do hair every night and every day off so probably another 18hours a week and it's getting ridiculous, I originally thought about a salon but it's just too hard! So now I'm thinking self employed is the best option, I'm willing to work!
What licenses do you have, like public liability etc?

I think you will find a lot of people will be put off replying as you are asking what they earn, this is a personal subject for most people.

Yes I suppose but No-one has to respond to that question! I just meant is it roughly the same as being employed as I'm not bothered about making loads just as long as it's enough to live!

There you go, I've taken that question out! ;)

I work less hours for more money - simple math ! Hardly ever weekends.
No accountant yet -
I try to buy stock as I need it to avoid having any sat around ! Probably spend £200 ish a month on outgoings as I like to have decent well known brands/kit !

And yes - it's the best move I ever made going self employed !

I am work mostly 5 days a week and every saturday until lunchtime....i dont work evenings only for sepcial circumstances...as i dont want my job to rule my life..i have 3 teenage boys to ferry around
i have public liability and insurance policies for kits and car etc.
i pay n.i via direct debit and tax.
outgoings also include stock, phone, petrol etc.....
and yes i love it

I work 3 days a week ow as I have 2 young children. Thurs and fri I generally do 8.30-9am to around 8ish at night and the same on fridays, Saturdays I tend to do 9-4. I am registered with HMRC as self employed ad have public liability insurance. I usually spend around £150 on stock every 4-6 weeks. You can earn good money, but obviously the more you earn the more tax you pay!!

I love it though and don't think I could go back to working in a salon now as I love having the freedom to change my hours as and when suits me. :biggrin:

Wow thanks so much for your replies :) I originally wanted a salon but it's pretty much impossible at the moment but Ive been at my workplace 6years and feel it's time to do my own thing, it's just an idea at the moment and working out planning and coatings so probably won't be until march time! But it's nice to hear people love it! Makes me wanna do it more lol!
Thanks again

Latest posts

Back