Question for salon owners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasmine1

Reaction score
I'm just wondering why it is that salons at the moment are only employing stylists for rent a chair/self employed basis? How are us just qualified from college suppose to get into work in a salon? also i still think just because some had to train at college we shouldnt be shot down for it we all just wanna become great stylists and everyone is always still learning in this industry :) thats why i love this site for the different advice people give but some arent able to use it due to not being accepted anywhere for a salon job!:( very upsetting xx

The economy has hurt small businesses... The industry is not what it used to be 10 years ago. Salons aren't seeing massive influxes of new clients to feed young stylists with for building their business. Unfortunately it's a very bad time for becoming a stylist. Things are slowly improving, but I'm not sure they will ever get back to where they were.

As said above. I'm college educated but had salon experience before starting college and done quite a lot throughout, but I can see why many dont take college educated. You are probably one of the good ones as you frequent this site to get extra tips etc... But think of the people who was in your class, how many of them actually tried hard? How many are still in the industry?
Rent a chair saves money for the salon owner, they have no worries about wage's, insurance etc... Ad if you can get the clients in you as a stylist can make more than you would on a salary xoxo

Believe me I do understand what your saying cause for some people college is there way of messing about a few years longer but that's not the case for me I'm desperate to get in a salon I would go mobile but don't quite have the confidence nor money right now to fund products etc. I personally think college is the worse way to get into hair but was my only choice in the end :( just wish someone could see my potential and want to help me become my best x

Do you do a placement? Do you do any unpaid work? My stylist is at college and did her placement with me and that's how she got the job x

Just following this thread with interest because i am in the position that i need a stylist urgently for my new business. I have been advertising for months and have had a few people apply but all but one have been just out of college. I have nothing against college as i trained there full time for 3 years in hair and beauty and the standards at my college were very high but this was in the 80s and i know from recent experience that it is not now always the case.I do not do hair myself now so i need someone with experience as they will be in effect working in that side of the business on their own and as such need to be able to deal with any problems or issues without refering to anyone else.
I am looking for someone on a 50/50 share basis because i want someone with an interest in the business who will go that extra mile because they will benefit from that as much as i will. I am not asking for any financial commitment from anyone but i do appreciate that i cant offer any guarantees even though i am turning clients away on a daily basis! I do sympathise with your position as i have been there myself but i thought it may be useful to put forward a different perspective. Good luck in your search it is nice to hear someone as passionate and motivated as you.:hug:

Just following this thread with interest because i am in the position that i need a stylist urgently for my new business. I have been advertising for months and have had a few people apply but all but one have been just out of college. I have nothing against college as i trained there full time for 3 years in hair and beauty and the standards at my college were very high but this was in the 80s and i know from recent experience that it is not now always the case.I do not do hair myself now so i need someone with experience as they will be in effect working in that side of the business on their own and as such need to be able to deal with any problems or issues without refering to anyone else.
I am looking for someone on a 50/50 share basis because i want someone with an interest in the business who will go that extra mile because they will benefit from that as much as i will. I am not asking for any financial commitment from anyone but i do appreciate that i cant offer any guarantees even though i am turning clients away on a daily basis! I do sympathise with your position as i have been there myself but i thought it may be useful to put forward a different perspective. Good luck in your search it is nice to hear someone as passionate and motivated as you.:hug:

Just wondering where abouts you're opening up your salon? If you're from the Long Bennington I'm thinking of, that's near Newark right?

Thank you molemaid for your reply, and trust me i do understand the standards at college arent very good and i peronally think level three should be two years and you should have a salon placement to complete the course i actually finished mine a month and half early due to getting on with my assessements! so yes i am passionate just wish i could get somewhere but i understand you point of view!
x
Do you do a placement? Do you do any unpaid work? My stylist is at college and did her placement with me and that's how she got the job x

Hi kimi no i dont do a placement and if i could go back i would of voluntered whist i was studying but obviously cant now lol, i think salon owners think because im qual level 3 im thinking i will start at that but thats not the case for me! I just want to get in there and il just ask the question with all jobs your expected to have experience to apply how can any of us get experience until someone is willing to take a chance on us? just a thought x

i have just finished my level 2 and when i applied for level 3 i was told i had to be working in a salon and have my own clients.I would love to get into a salon too, but due to young children i am going to have to wait a year, i still practice but know i will have to take a junior position and retrain as things change so quickly in this industry.

i have just finished my level 2 and when i applied for level 3 i was told i had to be working in a salon and have my own clients.I would love to get into a salon too, but due to young children i am going to have to wait a year, i still practice but know i will have to take a junior position and retrain as things change so quickly in this industry.

Yeah it deffo does! well thats good they do that i guess its different in different places, i do think colleges should help get students into salons during the course though as its so difficult

I am aware of salons that have recently forced stylists to go from employed to self employed, it's due to the current climate. Also small businesses with a certain number of staff (possibly 5) now have to make pension contributions. This could be another reason xx

As a few above have said, have you considered asking owners if you can work on a voluntary basis?

Given you will need to buy your own products, however if you could agree with the salon owner that you will work on a voluntary basis with all monies due going to the salon. You might be working for nothing but it will give you that much wanted experience, if you really go for it and build up a steady clientel over a few months go back to the owner and ask if you can rent the chair from them meaning that you now have a ready made clientel and can start earning some money.

It may not be the traditional way of doing things but it gets your foot in the door and you will feel like you've really achieved something :)

Hope this helps!

Just wondering where abouts you're opening up your salon? If you're from the Long Bennington I'm thinking of, that's near Newark right?

Yes thats right we are inbetween Newark and Grantham

Latest posts

Back