Question regarding mineral oil

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxAmyxx

Reaction score
I've always thought mineral oil is bad for you skin, however am having to change skincare brands due to being allergic to an ingredient and when researching the new brand which is highly recommended noticed the sunscreen has mineral oil in it; is this normal in sunscreen?

The range I carry has mineral oil in the sunscreen!

Vicki x

What do you think of mineral oil? It's confusing lol If it's so bad why is it in basically every prescription eczema cream? There doesn't seem to be much evidence as to why it is so bad.

Last edited:
Most of the sites that say "mineral oil is bad mmkay" are not scientific studies.

Personally I don't like lip balm with it in because i don't like the feeling of it and i don't think it's in any of my face products. There are better oils with more skincare benefits but I don't think it's the devil it's made out to be.

I trained with Environ 2 years ago, and again about 4 months ago, and can't for the life of me remember what they said about the mineral oil in their products. They aren't in a lot of them, but they are in some. If another geek replies, all well and good, but if not, I'll try and get back to you!

Just finished a very long day and going home!!!!!

Have a good weekend,

Vicki x

I believe mineral oil is an “unnatural” oil as it is a product of the oil/petrol industry and so has a bad rap. As it is unnatural it is not absorbed by the skin. Because of this it creates a good barrier that can lock moisture, product (sun protection) and medication in under it (or wax above it). Baby oil is mineral oil. Having a shower and before towelling off covering yourself with baby oil will lock a lot of the water left on your skin, under the oil. Ingrown hair treatment creams are often oily.

As mineral oil creates a barrier it is good as a pre-wax oil (Perron Rigot’s Jasmine Oil is mineral oil as are many other brands I would imagine). I use plain mineral oil for my pre-wax NEAT Wholesale : White Mineral Oil BP - FREE DELIVERY as I don’t like smells…and love the price!

People are very unlikely to be allergic to inert/dead products like mineral oil in comparison to natural products like almond, rape and peanut.

Mineral oil isn't good for your skin long term, it does create a film and blocks your pores. On my eve Taylor training we were told in depth how things like mineral oil and Vaseline all originate from the same source and over time actually draw moisture out of your body so dehydrates. I'm not good at explaining so hopefully someone else can come along and explain it in much better detail! Ha xx

I believe mineral oil is an “unnatural” oil as it is a product of the oil/petrol industry and so has a bad rap. As it is unnatural it is not absorbed by the skin. Because of this it creates a good barrier that can lock moisture, product (sun protection) and medication in under it (or wax above it). Baby oil is mineral oil. Having a shower and before towelling off covering yourself with baby oil will lock a lot of the water left on your skin, under the oil. Ingrown hair treatment creams are often oily.

As mineral oil creates a barrier it is good as a pre-wax oil (Perron Rigot’s Jasmine Oil is mineral oil as are many other brands I would imagine). I use plain mineral oil for my pre-wax NEAT Wholesale : White Mineral Oil BP - FREE DELIVERY as I don’t like smells…and love the price!

People are very unlikely to be allergic to inert/dead products like mineral oil in comparison to natural products like almond, rape and peanut.

I've done a lot of research on mineral oil with regards to cosmetics and although I'm not a scientist, what I have found agrees with the above except that BP mineral oil is classed as a natural product.

There are lots and lots of sites on the internet stating that its a comedogenic, that it causes cancer, that it pulls the vitamins from your skin etc. but show me solid evidence.
Scientists love mineral oil as it works well in its job as an occlusive agent so prevents water loss through the skin. Therefore when used in a sunscreen it makes sense as it sits there and creates a barrier.

But saying that........ in most other products then personally I'm not a fan of mineral oil.
First of all it's a cheap ingredient so obviously liked by companies for this fact but I suffer from extremely dry skin so don't have a lot of moisture to keep in there in the first place. I would rather see an ingredient being used that can provide nutrients that will aid my skin.
Also, if the mineral oil creates a barrier and just sits there without penetrating the skin, then in my view it has the possibility to block other ingredients from doing their job.
Mineral oil doesn't biodegrade well so has the potential for long term pollution of the environment (I know there are lots of other things that are bad for the environment and I am trying to be eco friendly in other areas of my life too).

So that's my view, hope I haven't bored you x

I thought the same as you that it makes sense for it to be in a sunscreen, wouldn't want it in everything though lol

Just wondered if anyone else had any opinions, I've tried searching on the internet but very little comes up

Latest posts

Back