Question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallis

Reaction score
:) Ive been looking on the internet about courses and came across Gina Wallace courses what you can do at home, and they come with the nail trainer which ive heard is a good thing to practice on,does anybody know if these are good courses to do? Thankyou

The name of the company that does these 'home learn' courses, is Essential Nails.

If you do a search (above) under Essential Nails, you will find many opinions on these courses.

My opinion is (for what it is worth) that if you are going to spend the amount of money the course costs (which is not cheap), you would be better off with a real live tutor in a real live class who can respond to your real live problems and who will provide you with on-going training and support ... your learning experience does not end with a 'home learn' course.

If you have no other option and are very self motivated then home learn is a better option than none.

I think I would be right in saying that the majority opinion on this site is that after doing the home learn many individuals went on to do other training which they found more beneficial to them ... others have praised it ... you can make up your own mind.

Search 'education' as well and you will find lots of other info.

Hi

I trained in Birmingham but although I came out with a Certificate, I didn't feel anywhere near confident to be let loose on real clients.

I then went on e-bay and bought a nail trainer hand to practice on and the essential nails videos for acrylic and maintenance. The videos were excellent and there is no doubt Gina Wallace is very talented. I still watch them now.

By the way where in Leicestershire do you live as I'm from there also.

Tanya

I am doing the airbrushing course with Essential nails. I have no choice but to do home learn as I have a two year old and childcare costs are horrendous!

I am planning on starting my business properly when he begins school and so am learning slowly and at my own pace so I can offer a full range of services. I already have man and ped clients that I do in the evenings.

I also did the gel essential nails course. I have found it to be really good and you get plenty of help over the phone, but you do need to practice on real people as their nails aren't as nice and easy as the nail trainer ones! My sisters are very useful for this ;)

I guess that a course with real humans would benefit more as you get to see things demonstrated (You do see demonstrations on the video that comes with the essential course) and you can get someone to LOOK at where you are going wrong instead of trying to describe it over the phone, but if it is hard for you to take time off to do a course or you can't get to one then a home learn course is a good option.

Hi Wallis,

To do the Essential Nails Home Learn Courses you have to be very MOTIVATED and have LOTS of SELF-DISCIPLINE :!: I know I have purchase the Acrylic, Air-Brushing and Maintainance Courses and NOT completed one of them - YET!!!!! :lol:

HTH

tanyalouise said:
Hi

I trained in Birmingham but although I came out with a Certificate, I didn't feel anywhere near confident to be let loose on real clients.

I then went on e-bay and bought a nail trainer hand to practice on and the essential nails videos for acrylic and maintenance. The videos were excellent and there is no doubt Gina Wallace is very talented. I still watch them now.

By the way where in Leicestershire do you live as I'm from there also.

Tanya

Hi Tanya

I live in Syston, Leicester, Where abouts are you from?

Broughton Astley. Have been doing mobile for two months so still learning. Only do it part time at the moment though as I haven't the courage or confidence yet to give up a regular salary!!

Tanya

I did all of my basic training through Essential Nails, it gives you a great understanding and respect for the Natural Nail. I have since done various classroom based classes, because as a Nail Tech your training never stops. I have now opened up a salon of my own. On interviewing other recruits for a position with The Nail Lounge, I can only say that I am dismayed that such people are able to associate themselves with our Industry. I have to admit that my high standards are mainly due to the initial training that I received from Home Learn.

The key to remember is that you never will stop learning in this field, and to pick good quality companies that will offer you the back up that you need even after your training course.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back