Razor or not

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi there:)
A question to all you hairdressers I was just wondering if any of you like to razor cut ?

or do you think it ruins the hair ?

razoring is fab for texturizing.
Ive done it on fringes and short hair cuts all over.
but wouldnt recomend it for ultra fine hair.
ive even had a bit done when I had my inverted bob cut, just a little at the sides.
I wouldnt say it ruins the hair at all.

It can be a mess or take awhile to grow out if it's not done right. I've seen Manufacturer Stage Artists just go wild razoring the hair all for show. Did the style look fun in the end? Yes. Could the cut be duplicated and kept up? Not really because it was so over razored that it had to grow in again in order to achieve the same look.

I agree with honeymummy...In the real world, when we are working for our clients...texturizing, fringe, fun short cut's, breaking up or softening parameters, removing bulk, slithering and blending.
Almost never on fine hair.

I love a good Razor, I like the weight in my hand and how fast it is.:green:

They're great! X

Sunshine, Daisy's rainbows and smiles

I like to razer but I find it causes damage on dry hair. So I will only use it when needed.

I love razor cutting, and done correctly is no different from growing out any other haircut.

I like razor cutting as well, and the blending can be so much better when done with a razor and sometimes especially on shorter cuts you can get more precision. I don't find they can damage the hair as such, but if the hair id extremely dry and brittle and coarse the client may experience a pulling sensation which may be uncomfortable. However if done correctly there is no problem at all.

Just make sure that the blade is really sharp, and the hair is wet, and they shouldn't feel it.

Just make sure that the blade is really sharp, and the hair is wet, and they shouldn't feel it.

I've had a few clients see me pick up my razor and ask me not to use it because it pulled so much last time. Turns out they've had it used on dry hair for a full cut. OUCH

I've had a few clients see me pick up my razor and ask me not to use it because it pulled so much last time. Turns out they've had it used on dry hair for a full cut. OUCH

FULL CUT on DRY Hair.......... OUCHIE!!!!!

FULL CUT on DRY Hair.......... OUCHIE!!!!!

Ha ha I know. No wander they didn't want it done. Don't worry I shown them its not a torture device, and gained 2 new clients 😃

New blade everytime. And wet hair, not overprocessed hair. And I stick to using it on bob length or shorter.

I use my scissor V as a razor on wet hair occaisionally, bit cautious about buying an actual razor because i wasnt trained with one, but the effect is mostly the same. It works nicely on slightly wavy smooth hair, gives more texture. I wouldnt use it on coarse or frizzy hair though as all the shorter hairs just ping up and make the ends look ratty.

Razors used properly are amazing, in the wrong hands are not. Main tip is to always have a sharp blade! But I use my razor on almost every cut at some point, mainly around the front layers.

I love a full razored bob, don't get to do many though :( I do tend to do a rough base line with my scissors then razor to soften on some ladies.

I like using a razor and enjoy doing what they used to call a " spud cut " in the salon. Taking a hot cross bun section, pinching the hair and using the razor to cut all of the layers. Diffuses any lines and clients found it really interesting :)

Latest posts

Back