Ready to take the risk

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueJellyBaby

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum and had a quick browse but don't know much about the rules etc.

Anyway, the reason I am starting a new thread is because I want some advice/tips from you lovely people.

I qualified as a massage therapist last December and want to start up on my own. I am qualified in 4 different massages; Aromatherapy, Swedish Body, Hot Stone and IHM. To start off with I will offer everything but hot stone as I don't have the right equipment and think it would be pointless when I don't know if there will even be a demand for it.

Does anyone have a vague idea what I need to start off with? I already have a massage couch i bought last year and was also given one recently. I need to get oils, towels, etc. What would be the best place to get these from? Do I need to get special towels? What else do I need?

I will be starting up from home so my overheads will be fairly low. As this will be the case do I really need to advertise yet? I have ideas for a name, logo and design etc.

If anyone knows information on companies/businesses, liquidation, dissolved, Company names etc. The reason I ask is because I have a name in mind and have checked it in the companies house database and it was dissolved. Can i use this?

Things to look out for would be great and will selling products be good to start off with or should i wait until i am established first?

Sorry it's such a long and spaced out thread just don't want to miss things out. Which I probably will lol.

Thanks in advance :wink2:

If working from your home depending on where you are, you need to hold a special treatments licence for massage. Best to check with your local council.

Last edited:
I have now decided that i will rent a room, do i still need to contact the council?

Please try and get a little business acumen behind you before you embark on this so you don't just look like yet another opportunist trying to succeed in this industry. I can't believe questions like this are still being asked...if you don't know what equipment you are meant to have how on earth are you going to succeed in holding a business!

Personally what i would do is contact buisness link, they will help you on many of the questions you have in regards to 101 understanding companies house etc- plus its free seminars.

Then id go to your trainer/ or refer back to a list of what you were probarly given as a manufactors list of what you need. hot stone baths- so many to choose from and they all vary in price. (do a quick search on here!) Consumerable the same. Towels- any supplier. Then in regards to oil- really this depends on organic vs natural vs syntheic oils vs aromatherapy oils. All dependent on what level you know. further training may also help and different techniques like lava shell and no hands massage.

Then id do my research on many suppliers. I would always buy new as its easier than getting PAT tested. Its a shame you could of gone olympia to understand more about the industry.

But before you jump, i wish to the very best on your new venture, but do take a step back and assess every detail before you take the plunge! hths xoxo

Please try and get a little business acumen behind you before you embark on this so you don't just look like yet another opportunist trying to succeed in this industry. I can't believe questions like this are still being asked...if you don't know what equipment you are meant to have how on earth are you going to succeed in holding a business!

Obviously I know what equipment is necessary to carry out a treatment :rolleyes: as previously stated. I didn't know whether I needed anything else apart from these to start off with! :biggrin:

Personally what i would do is contact buisness link, they will help you on many of the questions you have in regards to 101 understanding companies house etc- plus its free seminars.

Then id go to your trainer/ or refer back to a list of what you were probarly given as a manufactors list of what you need. hot stone baths- so many to choose from and they all vary in price. (do a quick search on here!) Consumerable the same. Towels- any supplier. Then in regards to oil- really this depends on organic vs natural vs syntheic oils vs aromatherapy oils. All dependent on what level you know. further training may also help and different techniques like lava shell and no hands massage.

Then id do my research on many suppliers. I would always buy new as its easier than getting PAT tested. Its a shame you could of gone olympia to understand more about the industry.

But before you jump, i wish to the very best on your new venture, but do take a step back and assess every detail before you take the plunge! hths xoxo

Thanks for your message, it has helped a lot. Had a meeting today with an advisor so have majority business things sorted! Yeah I would always buy new :) I've missed Olympia but there is a similar one in a few weeks in Mancs.

Latest posts

Back