Reason for 3 ball method

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllThumbs

Reaction score
My student today asked for a "good reason" why she should do the three ball method instead or one or two. I want to say its because i said so but i have to be nice. I Cant find the explanations in our textbook so i was hoping a geek could help. Its to help build a proper apex right? I know i should know this but i never questioned it so i didnt think about it before now. Also how do i get her to see that what i say goes? She picked up the habit of dipping her brush in the Monomer to smooth her acrylic and that messes with product chemistry. Ive told her time and again not to do this..... Ugh Im feeling seriously disrespected.

Sounds like a typical watcher of bad youtube demonstrations and now thinks she knows it all!!

Well from a teaching point of view, the three ball method helps a student to create both balance and beauty using an easy method and with manageable amounts of product. Using the three ball method also helps students to appreciate structure and gain more of a three dimentional perspective of the nails they are building. It helps them to learn about brush angles in controlling the product too. We all know that there are other ways of creating nails from one bead to multiple beads and most of us go on to use a combination of all of those methods. I would explain these things, but emphasize the point that this method is taught to HELP students because it is easier for them.

As to using unreacted monomer to smooth out a bead ( which it doesn't ) I would explain that once the bead starts to polymerise, it won't accept more liquid and any excess will cause a very real hazard of overexposure to the client plus excess amount of smell in the working area plus wasting money! It is a very stupid practise.

Is she just thick, stubborn or lazy? If serious about making a career out of nails, then she should read Doug Schoons book re product chemistry which will back up what you say. Hth

Ty geeg. I knew i was right. Idk what the deal is. She is learning quickly but Idk if id call her stubborn but maybe close. If i Dont have a written gold explanation for something then i must not be right i guess in her book. We've been combating Over half and full well tips for weeks. Are there any books or websites for instructors? somewhere i can go to get help and ideas without bothering ppl on here?
Edit* i just read her a condensed version of what you just wrote and she said. Well i suppose that will do. Wth? UGH!!

Last edited:
Ty geeg. I knew i was right. Idk what the deal is. She is learning quickly but Idk if id call her stubborn but maybe close. If i Dont have a written gold explanation for something then i must not be right i guess in her book. We've been combating Over half and full well tips for weeks. Are there any books or websites for instructors? somewhere i can go to get help and ideas without bothering ppl on here?
Edit* i just read her a condensed version of what you just wrote and she said. Well i suppose that will do. Wth? UGH!!

Well you are welcome to consult with me or .. better still .. become a CND educator ..(i see they are recruiting just now) you and I both know that you will know more after a CND bootcamp than any other educator for any other company in the buisiness.

Everyone always praises this site for education as well they should .. where do they think it comes from ?? It is CND education they are getting and for free, and it always has been, and that is good for the whole industry which is why we are all happy to give ... and do you know what? .. because of this, technicians ARE better educated than they ever have been if they take advantage of this site and all it has to offer.

So get your students here on the nail geek site and let them take advantage of it.

I think you should apply to CND!! You'd be a great ambassador. :hug:

Well thank you for your compliment. But id have to travel several states over to get my master classes because they Dont even offer them in Tennessee. That is all that has stopped me from applying previously. i was able to get 2 of them 3 years ago. But to keep up you must do at least 1 per year. I pull as much as i can for my girls from the Cnd courses Ive taken and the videos they make. I wish my instructor would buy Cnd for us. As for my 3 ball argument with my student i performed a sculpture using 3 right Im front of her and she physically saw the difference between 3 and trying to blob on one giant ball. I think that got through to her. Do you mind if i pm you in the future?

Well thank you for your compliment. But id have to travel several states over to get my master classes because they Dont even offer them in Tennessee. That is all that has stopped me from applying previously. i was able to get 2 of them 3 years ago. But to keep up you must do at least 1 per year. I pull as much as i can for my girls from the Cnd courses Ive taken and the videos they make. I wish my instructor would buy Cnd for us. As for my 3 ball argument with my student i performed a sculpture using 3 right Im front of her and she physically saw the difference between 3 and trying to blob on one giant ball. I think that got through to her. Do you mind if i pm you in the future?

Please ... anytime. Feel free. :hug:

I know your question has already been answered but when I was teaching i would show my students reverse, 1 ball overlay and the 3 ball. Told them they had to 3 ball for practicals because that is what they state required. No one ever really questoned me too much about it. Its a great way to spilt up the zones and see what each ball is creating with in its area

Becca. I have to careful how i show this student whatever it is we are learning at the time. We've been applying tips since week 2 and she is still stressing over full and half. Dont get me started on well-less...she is definatly unique lol. if i vary from the state protical she gets confused, So i try to stick to one way. Trial by fire. I try to smile about it and remember that shes a sweet lady who makes kickass egg rolls ;)

Latest posts

Back