Reassurance needed please - greenie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwissSassy

Pédicure Diplômée - Pédi Suisse
Reaction score
Hello Geeks,

Today I removed Shellac from one of my clients toenails and found this massive greenie. It is the first time I have ever experienced it (2 years of doing nails) and it was quite a shock.

I applied the Shellac on March 8th, and she noticed the dark mark a week ago.

She has nail separation (result of when she walked down a mountain, damaged the nail years ago, has visited podiatrist etc and has been like that, unchanged for years). She cut the nails with Shellac on a couple of weeks ago, but I have no idea if that could have changed anything? Looking closely at the picture, we saw a bit of a lateral crack in the nail, although nothing serious - could it be that?

I'm looking for a reason as to why it happened, and obviously don't want to ever see this again!

I am meticulous and confident in my methods - use all CND products, CND trained and stick to all protocols, use Scrubfresh every time, all tools/files correctly disinfected sanitised etc.

I buffed it gently with white block, Scrubfreshed, Nailfreshed, Scrubfreshed again and applied Vinylux. She wanted Shellac but I said no and of course told her to watch it, remove the polish in 2 weeks time and check.

Thanks for any suggestions, help or reassurance, obviously feeling really uncomfortable about it :-(
Saskia

Attachments

• IMG_3699 - Version 2.jpg
    IMG_3699 - Version 2.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 335
If you applied quite a few weeks ago, and you say there was a crack in the nail, it's likely moisture became trapped in that area and therefore bacteria was able to thrive there.

I've had a client with the same on her fingers after leaving her Shellac on for 12 weeks and gluing back down any lifted bits! 😨

You've taken all the correct steps in application and cleaning after she came back. Shellac would have been fine to apply afterwards, but If she is going to leave a long time between reapplications, your suggestion of Vinylux was better so, as you said, it can be monitored. All there is to do now is let the stain grow out.

If you applied quite a few weeks ago, and you say there was a crack in the nail, it's likely moisture became trapped in that area and therefore bacteria was able to thrive there.

Thanks Fee. I really don't know if it was the crack, I'm clutching at straws as I can't understand why it has appeared. I'm so surprised, and not in a good way :rolleyes:

Does this mean then that anyone who has less than perfect nails can easily get a greenie? I am now a bit scared.

Thanks Fee. I really don't know if it was the crack, I'm clutching at straws as I can't understand why it has appeared. I'm so surprised, and not in a good way :rolleyes:

Does this mean then that anyone who has less than perfect nails can easily get a greenie? I am now a bit scared.

I wouldn't say so no. I have only ever come across it when the client has been remiss in coming in for maintenance. Bacteria can only be present under a nail coating if it was there to start with- so prep that wasn't thorough- or if the nail coating has lifted and created an environment for the bacteria to thrive.

You're confident in your prep work, but your client did not have her Shellac removed for 6 weeks, so maybe the crack in the nail is clutching at straws, bit that is quite a long time to go without removal and may have contributed to creating the ideal environment for bacteria.

Encourage her to try and stick to a more frequent schedule for her Shellac, or stick with polish, but I wouldn't be too hard on yourself or think that you caused it! x

Hi Sass - stop worrying! I know how much of a perfectionist you are with all your treatments and protocols!! Lol: You can see the crack on the pic & we all know how bacteria love warm, dark, damp places to feed & breed!

Maybe in future encourage her to go no longer than say, 4 semaines for her removal? If she doesn't want them redoing, sell her a Remove Tube! Lol

I've read a few similar threads on here & it seems Shellac is ok to use, after care advice given & situation monitored til it grows out.

Having said all that, it's not happened to me & I'd be in exactly the same state!! :Scared: Bon chance xx

Thanks ladies (merci Debbs) but I just suddenly feel worried about it ever happening again. My prep is thorough so I can't imagine doing anything different or more thoroughly to avoid it!

Latest posts

Back