Reassurance please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becca_hair

Reaction score
Hello everyone :) I am pretty new to salon geek so do excuse me if this post appears in a strange place however....
This is my story and slight issue.....
I am 19 and have worked in a salon for four years, at first it was part time evening and Saturday girl whilst I did my schooling and then I recently completed my hairdressing apprenticeship, next week I am starting self employed renting a chair at the salon, I have had days where I have felt really confident an others where I feel so so nervous about not having that set wage every week! I have bought all my stock etc and I have a client base of around 20-30 which I know isn't a lot but I keep telling myself if I don't start now I never will and that you have to take a risk if you ever want to get anywhere, I lost my dad earlier this year and I know he will be so proud of me, I'm just struggling to keep telling myself its all going to be fine when everyone else at the salon keeps putting a downer on it, I've put a few business plans in place and I've started a pamper package which I have a booking for etc, I'm willing to put the work in.. I just wondered if anyone had some words of advice from their experience as to how starting up alone went for them :) thanks on advance :) xx

I unfortunately dont have any advice as such. But just think hiw well you have done already. Positive word of mouth and any publicity you can get will all help. Keep at it. There are always and downs but hold your head high and I wish you all the luck in the world. :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you very much :) sometimes just need that kick up the bum to keep you going xxx

Just the fact that you have nerves shows that you care deeply about our trade, and doing well. Far better to be that way than overconfident and blasé at this stage.
On a practical level, I suggest you follow Michael Cole on Facebook, and put his salon wisdom into practice. Don't reduce prices, in fact learn about how pricing affects your profit, and how expensive discounts are as a marketing tool.
There are plenty of experienced hair geeks on here to help you if you get stuck.

Thank you that's fab! I do love the industry and everything that comes with it! I feel excited now :) xx

Hiya
I started self employed in July and its the best thing I've ever done. I have a young son so I work my hrs around my other half etc and it works great.
I know what you mean about one day being ok and another feeling unsure, I have that too but always stick to what you know works if you are unsure.
I qualified in 2006 and had a little bit of time out once I had my son. So I did some training courses etc an still do so I'm in the know all the time.
I got busy super quick and didn't do any advertising as I had a website which I highly suggest you do as its got me near to 20clients already. It costs £5.99 through 1&1 and is simple to do.
All my clients are repeats now, so keep you work to a high standard which I'm sure you do already & do offers etc.

Good luck!!
Xx

Just the fact that you have nerves shows that you care deeply about our trade, and doing well. Far better to be that way than overconfident and blasé at this stage.
On a practical level, I suggest you follow Michael Cole on Facebook, and put his salon wisdom into practice. Don't reduce prices, in fact learn about how pricing affects your profit, and how expensive discounts are as a marketing tool.
There are plenty of experienced hair geeks on here to help you if you get stuck.

Fab advice as always.

Try and be different from the others around you Sunday & Monday are great days to work and don't always stick to the usual Thursday night late night.

Make yourself stand out from the rest,
Like persianista said nerves are good!

Keep strong and focused on your business and You will do well

Thank you everybody got some fab advice and tips from you all! Can't wait now! :) xx

hiya,

well done for your progress so far!

a reccommendation from me is to look at maternaty cover in other salon in your area, that way you would get 3 months expereince in another salon, no commitment and you get a whole new batch of clients who may like your work so much they may help with spreading the word.:)

Thank you :) great idea xx

Latest posts

Back