Redundancy payment for self - employed staff

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clare Stevens

Reaction score
I own a Gents Salon and I am planning to sell the business soon, I have one member of staff who has been working with me for 5 years on a rent a chair basis. As she may loose her job when the salon is sold, will I be legally required to pay her redundancy ?. Thank you in advance for any advice.

No they are self employed so free to move their business to another premises or stay if the new owner is happy to continue with the arrangement.

No, but you might have to give them notice to quit

Thank you for the speedy reply's and the information, i can relax now !

I own a Gents Salon and I am planning to sell the business soon, I have one member of staff who has been working with me for 5 years on a rent a chair basis. As she may loose her job when the salon is sold, will I be legally required to pay her redundancy ?. Thank you in advance for any advice.
If they are self employed they are not your member of staff.
If they are your staff and you tell them what hours to work, what prices to charge, when they can have time off etc.. then they are employed not self employed and the answers above will be incorrect.
If they rent the chair and have control over their work hours, prices, holiday etc & pay you rent then they just need to be given notice (as stated in their rental agreement) that your closing/leaving/selling up, and they need to find a new place to work from or speak to the new owner when you agree the sale to see if they wish to take on someone self employed.
I would advise you to check where you stand with a solicitor for total peace of mind though.

Thank you for your advice, it would be worth speaking to a solicitor for 100% peace of mind.

Latest posts

Back