Regarding clients buying products elsewhere / knockoffs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satchel

Reaction score
This plays a bit into the thread a week or so ago about clients finding products cheaper and letting you know about it. Here in the US there are rings of people that go to salons and stock up on products. They then dilute the products and repackage them. These repackaged and diluted products are sold on Amazon and Ebay. They are watered down versions of the original.

Over my lunch hour I love to catch up on product reviews so I often visit Amazon. I recently started reading many reviews about consumers receiving products that were generic or not like the original version they came to know, especially with larger brands such as Matrix. I haven't used Matrix in years. I'm so immune to the brand that it's never even on my radar because it's literally everywhere. However, this board and a few reviews piqued my interest.

I found two different salons that were open on Sunday and visited both. I asked them if they knew anything about bootlegged Matrix products being resold. And both of them did because people will try to come into their salons and buy out the entire stock. So now they have a policy you can only buy a certain amount at a time.

When your client gets snippy about finding a product at a wholesale price or cheaper then what you offer, speak up and warn them about knockoff and watered down products. It's very real and getting really bad. It's much, much safer to purchase only from verified vendors.

(And I'm very surprised by Matrix hydrasource range! Surprised in a good way. The conditioning balm is better than many of the snooty high end brands I've tried over the years.)

Latest posts

Back