Regular client said her last tan cracked while wearing off. Causes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlawlessBeauty

Reaction score
One of my lovely, fairly regular spray tan ladies came in this week for a spray tan and said that as her last tan was wearing off it looked like it had a cracking effect on her legs and wore off strangely around her underarms.

What would be the cause of this?

I've never had it before and could only think that it might be down to her skin being overly dehydrated?

I use Sienna X and she always has 12%. It had been over a month since her last tan, so there was definitely no tan left on. She doesn't exfoliate before a tan, though to be fair most of my clients don't bother and it still comes out lovely.

It went on fine and she said it looked good at first but cracked after a couple of days.

She followed all the usual aftercare and couldn't think of anything different that she had done.

I asked her to call me if she experiences this problem again with this tan and advised that she keeps her skin well moisturised. I tanned her Thursday morning and haven't heard anything yet and she is due back this Thursday for another tan, so i was hoping to have some more answers for her by then.

She is a lovely client and wouldn't complain for the sake of it.

Any ideas? xx

I use Sienna X as well and get this on my own legs and I put it down to me not exfoliating beforehand (naughty therapist, I know!). I would advise her to have a really good exfoliation and up the moisturiser (retail opportunity!). x

To be honest i would say she told a fib when she said she moisturised etc... this is a common sign of dry skin after a tan... daily moisturising prevents this as does gentle exfoliation every three days, HTHs xx

Perfect, thankyou both.

Sorry, i misled you there. She didn't say she had moisturised. I meant she had done everything like not getting wet, not wearing tight clothes etc until she washed off.

She never exfoliates or moisturises, but doesn't usually have this problem.

I'm glad that i can say it was what i thought it was, simply dry skin and that she can make sure it doesn't happen again by moisturising xx

Agree with all that has been said, her skin is probably drier due to the recent sun we've had & it might have worn off around the armpit area due to excessive sweating/deo application from the recent sunny weather & boy has it been humid the last couple of days :) hth x

Hello, just poping over from nail geek, I'm not trained In tanning. I've only had a handful of spray tans on myself but this question interested me as thus us exactly what happened to my last tan, it's was the second time I'd had it done by the same therapist, the first time it was lively but the second time it cracked around the underarm area and all across my chest, I exfoliated and moisturised 24 hrs before exactly the same as the first time b

Oops on iPhone sent by accident ... So I don't know why it cracked like this, the only thing that was different is she was having problems with the spray coming out the gun and it went on a little heavy around that area, took forever to dry, the solution was also freezing as she left her equipment in her car overnight. Would any if thus make a difference? Just curious :)

I've always been told to advise clients not to use a moisture containing mineral oils as this can happen it can cause the tan to crack, maybe this is what has happened and she is only applying moisturiser to her legs and its also in her deodorant!
HTH🌸xx

Hello, just poping over from nail geek, I'm not trained In tanning. I've only had a handful of spray tans on myself but this question interested me as thus us exactly what happened to my last tan, it's was the second time I'd had it done by the same therapist, the first time it was lively but the second time it cracked around the underarm area and all across my chest, I exfoliated and moisturised 24 hrs before exactly the same as the first time......... Oops on iPhone sent by accident ... So I don't know why it cracked like this, the only thing that was different is she was having problems with the spray coming out the gun and it went on a little heavy around that area, took forever to dry, the solution was also freezing as she left her equipment in her car overnight. Would any if thus make a difference? Just curious :)

Overloading the skin with DHA can make the tan crack and go snakeskin like on wear off, also using too high a DHA for the skin type can do this.
Moisturising can help to stop this and gentley exfoliating to help remove a little tan at a time rather than trying to get all of the tan off in one go will also help the tan to fade better.

Latest posts

Back