Regulations!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiv5953

Reaction score
I wasnt sure if this has been covered, ive searched with no full answer.

As regulations in the UK arent put in place for therapists to need a certificate to practice would it not be worth trying to start a petition for this?

As im a newbie i dont really know enough yet but its just an idea for a few of the pro's to maybe get going...im sure theres enough of us on here to get it going!

What does everyone think?

I think you will find a lot of us agreeing with you, I know Samantha Sweet is involved with something along these lines, I can't remember what it's called but it's taken a long time to come get this far.
Fact is the government is de restricting left right and centre. This will continue until the cowboys really hurt someone and then the government will over react and instead of insisting on quals and insurance, will only let medical practitioners do a lot of treatments that we are currently doing.
Maybe it's about time we did put a petition together, if we could get enough signatures it would have to be read in parliament, might not get anywhere, but at least it would raise awareness again.

As treatments increasingly use sophisticated products and/or machinery, with the increased risks involved, it is worrying to think that few regulations are in place.

I think a central register might be a good idea.

Maybe on qualifying the details could be stored on a secure data base, the therapist given a UPN, and then access given, with permission, to insurance companies, prospective employers when a provisional job offer is given, etc.

Of course, as with anything there would be a cost involved. I don't see why it should be more than the cost of a CRB check though, once the system is set up.

Google the hairdressing council. They are helping to promote this.

Ooo ill have a look,

Cant see it happening. The coalition are into voluntary self regulation of therapies - such as the CHCH with certain holistic therapies - unless there is significant danger to the public. Perhaps those treatments which are particularly invasive could have some success if they can prove there is significant risk.

From what I understand it would be professional bodies who would do the groundwork - so it would need a desire by them.

I think licensing by councils may be the way forward. Body piercing is not regulated at all - anyone can call themselves a body piercer. But you do need to register with your local council to show you have a hygenic place to operate in and clinical waste disposal. Perhaps if that was introduced for salons it would help.

xx

Latest posts

Back