Removal of client's unknown brand gel polish-help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyanna

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering if some experienced nail techs might be able to offer some advice after the following scenario happened to me on the weekend:

One of my regular clients booked in for a Gel Polish Mani, which included removal of an old colour and application of a new. Nothing out of the ordinary there but....

She had been away interstate and wanted a change of Gel Polish colour while away, so she went into another salon where she said instead of soaking off the Gel Polish I had previously applied, they completely filed it off with an e-file and then applied a new colour of their (unknown) brand. Fair enough it's not up to my client to take note what brand was applied but she does know it wasn't the same bottles as the brand I use - NSI Polish Pro. It was still apparently applied and cured the same way as she's used to with my application.

So far as a nail tech I haven't had to remove a lot of other Gel Polish brands before but have never had an issue with removing OPI for example, it soaks off very easily and doesn't leave residue on the nail bed. This "Gel Polish" she had though was an absolute nightmare to remove and took approx and hour to remove, I'm not kidding! It just wouldn't budge.

My usual basic Gel Polish removal steps are as follows and I don't normally have issues with my brand and this is what I followed too at first to try and remove the unknown brand:
- Break top coat seal
- wrap nails in alfoil with nail wipe soaked in acetone
- Apply warm heat pack
- Gel Polish normally removes without an issue, no great scraping force required

This brand though, didn't budge much at all or even soften much after 10, 20 or 30 minutes and when it did start to, it left a heap of product on the nail bed which I had no other choice but to gently buff down to a thin layer before I could apply my product. It was very thick too, perhaps the main cause of the problem (?)
It was mainly frustrating in regards to the time of the service, it took twice as long because of the unknown product removal. Lucky I didn't have another client booked in after her!

I'm sure I'm not the only Nail tech this has happened to, so what advice can others offer when this happens?

Have you or do you charge extra for the additional time needed for soak off? (I didn't in this instance)

What would you do if this happened and you had other clients waiting?

Any other advice?

Much appreciated,
Rhyanna :)

When this happens to me I ask the client what the brand was, I let them know that because I'm not sure of the branding, I have to charge an hourly rate if it takes me longer than usual to take off as I don't want to rush and ruin their natural nails.

It happens everywhere you go these days with 'Shellac' polish that ends up taking hours to remove even though Shellac is supposedly one of the easiest to remove. Everyone's trying to get on the bandwagon and getting bad products to save money xx

Latest posts

Back