Removing gel polishes and white spots

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mum

Reaction score
I am asking this because I don't understand.

Whenever I see pictures like that second one in the article, the damage is always half way up or in the middle of the nail and then often not on the free edge. Why is this if it is the nail technician causing the damage by over scraping? How come the white marks are never seen lower down where the last removal would have been?

I have two clients who get this (out of around 80), why is it only them if its me causing it?

Also, one of the two clients I have that gets it, used to get it while wearing normal nail polish. How would that be explained?

Whenever I see pictures like that second one in the article, the damage is always half way up or in the middle of the nail and then often not on the free edge. Why is this if it is the nail technician causing the damage by over scraping? How come the white marks are never seen lower down where the last removal would have been?

I have two clients who get this (out of around 80), why is it only them if its me causing it?

Also, one of the two clients I have that gets it, used to get it while wearing normal nail polish. How would that be explained?

Was just about to ask the same question, I have 2 ladies that these spots occur on too after Shellac removal (they also say it's normal for them whilst wearing polish) but all my other clients are totally fine. And it's always right in the middle, not in zones 1/2.

Xx

I have a large white spot are the moment in the freeedge of my left thumb where I was naughty and scraped my last gelish off:/

I think the reason why its usually not on the freeedge is mainly because the gel polish layers at the free edge become loose after a short while of soaking but the middle is often the most stuck so thats where you might then to scrape.

Sent from my BLADEII using SalonGeek

I think the reason why its usually not on the freeedge is mainly because the gel polish layers at the free edge become loose after a short while of soaking but the middle is often the most stuck so thats where you might then to scrape.

Sent from my BLADEII using SalonGeek

I see what you are saying, but....... if a nail tech had been continually removing and scraping over weeks, that white patch would eventually move to the free edge - do you know what I mean? I've never seen a picture where the damage was at the free edge or near the cuticle area.

Also, my experience is not the same as yours, I find the free edge is usually the most stubborn part to remove, I assume because there is less heat from the finger getting to it. The middle is always easy.

Last edited:
I see what you are saying, but....... if a nail tech had been continually removing and scraping over weeks, that white patch would eventually moved to the free edge - do you know what I mean? I've never seen a picture where the damage was at the free edge or near the cuticle area.

Also, my experience is not the same as yours, I find the free edge is usually the most stubborn part to remove, I assume because there is less heat from the finger getting to it. The middle is always easy.

I agree, the free edge is always the toughest part for me. I think it's because there's less heat, because the remover evaporates more easily from the edge and because nails often bow downward and aren't completely in contact with the remover pad. But I think that it is sometimes very difficult to tell when white spots are the result of simple dehydration and when it is damage. I find that dehydration tends to go away after some warm Solar Oil, but damage lingers. Even still, it's hard to tell. All the more reason to prevent the damage.

Latest posts

Back