Removing ginger tone from base 5

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteffiMc

Reaction score
Hi all basically what the headline say, I have a lady who's previous hairdresser has coloured her hair with something on a base 5 that's quite gingery, was just looking to see what the best way to change this to a flat natural brown would be? Thank you x

Hi all basically what the headline say, I have a lady who's previous hairdresser has coloured her hair with something on a base 5 that's quite gingery, was just looking to see what the best way to change this to a flat natural brown would be? Thank you x

Copper = orange.... Look on your colour wheel to what's opposite :) xx

You mean copper/orange/warm not ginger!

It's ginger almost everyone use that word I don't knowi what's wrong with it maybe not pro but even clients use it lol. ;p I'm trying to say orange but always end up saying ginger

Last edited:
It's ginger everyone use that word I don't knowi what's wrong with it maybe not pro but even clients use it lol. ;p I'm trying to say orange but always end up saying ginger

I never used ginger to describe a colour when working with clients. i dont think it sounds professional.I would use the word copper or orange.

Try a color (or colour, in case anyone nitpicks) with blue tones in it (to neutralise the orange/ginger/copper).

PS
Clients understand the word ginger so when you say the blond may come out a bit 'warm' they do not always understand this means gingery!!!!! savess confusion and as long as we know what we mean... its all semantics!

Dont know why but i hate using the word mahgony something about that word that i just dont like :)

Try a color (or colour, in case anyone nitpicks) with blue tones in it (to neutralise the orange/ginger/copper).

PS
Clients understand the word ginger so when you say the blond may come out a bit 'warm' they do not always understand this means gingery!!!!! savess confusion and as long as we know what we mean... its all semantics!

So you would tell a client that their blonde may come out gingery? And they don't run a mile?

What colour house are you? I would probably colour the base with a permanent and the ends with a Demi. Often using 20vol and permanent colours leads to a "WARM/COPPER" fade so you need to deposit as much as possible. I would use a calibrated ash or a purple ash as often blue ash can flatten too much and appear darker xx

Dont know why but i hate using the word mahgony something about that word that i just dont like :)

Mahogany is a wood.... Every client wants their hair to look like a tree lol.
And I agree, its copper/orange, not ginger.
As for blondes being warm, the warm tone would be a golden not copper, I do think some people need to check the version of warm against the colours, clients who are expecting
Or asking for a warm blonde are really expecting a golden colour not orange.

If pro's could get their heads around correct terms clients wouldn't be expecting different colours. Xoxo

Mahogany is a wood.... Every client wants their hair to look like a tree lol.
And I agree, its copper/orange, not ginger.
As for blondes being warm, the warm tone would be a golden not copper, I do think some people need to check the version of warm against the colours, clients who are expecting
Or asking for a warm blonde are really expecting a golden colour not orange.

If pro's could get their heads around correct terms clients wouldn't be expecting different colours. Xoxo
Yes they must do ! :) i hear alot of stylist say this word in my salon :):):)

I think its a poor sign that a person asks for help on this forum and people start 'nit picking' terminology...

As for your comments regarding how I explain things to clients, I spent 20 years explaining complex healthcare options to people who knew nothing about the technical side of their health. The NHS spends alot of time and money ensuring professionals use 'plain English' when speaking to patients. It is important your client understands you! They are not hairdressers.

Just out of interest Tomme: how would you describe a gingery blonde if not warm lol??? Copper Blonde? Orange blonde? I agree - I would show them the color, no room for confusion then!

I know plenty of people (men & women) who do not understand what copper or ash is...

My main point being: please do not turn the forum into a place for complaining about minor things when it is a great resource for new and experienced hairdressers alike. It will put people off posting.

I didn't mean to cause anyone offence with my post so apologies if I have. I wouldn't want anyone to be put of from asking any questions on this site because I think it's great hearing suggestions from experienced as well as newly qualified stylists, after all we're always learning ( well that's my motto anyway) xx

I think its a poor sign that a person asks for help on this forum and people start 'nit picking' terminology...

As for your comments regarding how I explain things to clients, I spent 20 years explaining complex healthcare options to people who knew nothing about the technical side of their health. The NHS spends alot of time and money ensuring professionals use 'plain English' when speaking to patients. It is important your client understands you! They are not hairdressers.

Just out of interest Tomme: how would you describe a gingery blonde if not warm lol??? Copper Blonde? Orange blonde? I agree - I would show them the color, no room for confusion then!

I know plenty of people (men & women) who do not understand what copper or ash is...

My main point being: please do not turn the forum into a place for complaining about minor things when it is a great resource for new and experienced hairdressers alike. It will put people off posting.

If it was to be coppery I would say copper, if it were to be golen I would say gold or warm.

Warm is slightly above flat. That's it.
And the NHS explanations are completely different to hair, just as describing a colour in fashion is.

Example would be, a jumper being amber or orange, in hair it would be called copper. No need to baby grown adults IMO. Xoxo

Thanks for the explanation. Its useful to have things explained differently sometimes.

(Have to say the next bit though) :wink2:
Some adults do need babying, I know loads of people who are scared of hairdressers (same sort of phobia as seeing doctors, nurses and dentists) lol

Wella 5/81 great new shade from illumina!! Would tone that right Down or 6/16 xx

On a pro hair forum, we expect fellow hair pros to use correct terminology to describe tonal qualities, so we can assist properly. If I was dealing with a non hair pro or a client, I would use lay terms, with a fellow professional, I use pro terms. I would say it's important with a colour question, and is not meant personally to the other trades on this site.

Wow I have to say when I seen the number of replies I was quite grateful and then looked in to a load of nitpicking over the word ginger!! Seriously!!! I asked for a bit if advice and thanks to those who gave it I really appreciate it. As for the rest if you when I wrote ginger it should of been in inverted commas as it was the word my client used not me. Yes I use the word warm but as someone said not all clients understand what warm is so no doubt at some point ill have used the word ginger and I'm not ashamed to say it, as long as my clients and I understand eachother I'm happy. And although hair professionals may see the G word as unprofessional most clients probably couldn't care less which word we use as long as they get the desired result! For those interested I managed to sort her out and thanks again xx

Wow I have to say when I seen the number of replies I was quite grateful and then looked in to a load of nitpicking over the word ginger!! Seriously!!! I asked for a bit if advice and thanks to those who gave it I really appreciate it. As for the rest if you when I wrote ginger it should of been in inverted commas as it was the word my client used not me. Yes I use the word warm but as someone said not all clients understand what warm is so no doubt at some point ill have used the word ginger and I'm not ashamed to say it, as long as my clients and I understand eachother I'm happy. And although hair professionals may see the G word as unprofessional most clients probably couldn't care less which word we use as long as they get the desired result! For those interested I managed to sort her out and thanks again xx
Firstly what you said , Good On You!!,

Second- Wat did you use for your end result did you get a even brown like you wanted :)

Firstly what you said , Good On You!!,

Second- Wat did you use for your end result did you get a even brown like you wanted :)

Hi thanks, just think it gets a little too "playground" on here sometimes and puts you off bothering to ask! Yes I used 5/1 and 5/0 equal parts as it was more the red tinge to the 'warmth' that she didn't like rather than the golden if you know what I mean :-/ so it came out lovley. I didn't leave it on for the full development time either as didn't want it going the opposite greeny!!just kept an eye on it and took off once I was happy with the colour, thanks for asking :)

Well done steffimc :)
And omg how petty has this sight got! Lol x

Latest posts

Back