Removing OPI Gelcolour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephib

Reaction score
I have someone coming into the salon on Saturday with OPI gel on their nails however I only do Shellac and have had trouble when trying to remove other brands before!! Can anyone recommend the easier way to do it? Do you buff the top layer off first? Thanks x

There's really no telling what a client has on unless you've done it yourself. People mix brands, ect and more than half the time, the client wouldn't know/notice. It's safe to just break the topcoat seal before soaking just to be on the safe side.

I have someone coming into the salon on Saturday with OPI gel on their nails however I only do Shellac and have had trouble when trying to remove other brands before!! Can anyone recommend the easier way to do it? Do you buff the top layer off first? Thanks x

If it is indeed properly applied OPI GelColor, it should just about as easy to remove as Shellac since the OPI base coat is hybrid like Shellac. If not, you may have a bit of a battle on your hands. You can start with buffing the coat coat a bit. Not enough to remove it, just enough to break the seal and allow the remover to get in and do its job. Ideally, you'd use OPI Expert Touch to remove it, but I have removed OPI successfully with DSolve, but NR works very well too. Just remember to keep the pads saturated and in contact with the nail and give it time. Resist the temptation to scrape. If it doesn't release, re-wrap and soak longer, maybe adding some heat.

Last edited:
Ok great thanks! I will keep my fingers crossed that it goes ok!! Hate removing anything other than Shellac !

If it's genuine you won't have a problem as it removes easier than shellac, but agree with the others if it's a different brand then you may have problems!

Latest posts

Back