Removing orange band bleached hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nad1a

Reaction score
Hi, my client is about a base 5 or 6 with a natural regrowth of about an inch, then she has about 2cm of an orange band and the rest if her hair is pretty much platinum blonde.

My question is how am I going to go about doing her roots and removing this orange? My first thought is to do her regrowth as normal with 6% then wait for it to lift to orange and apply the rest of the bleach to the orange band so it will lift to an even shade and I can tone the lot at the end. Does this sound ok? And should I use 6% on the band or pastel?

Secondly as her hair is very porous, and I planned to tone with 9/16 or 10/8 depending on result. How will I stop it grabbing and leaving a pinky tone on the ends? Do the roots first, then just comb the toner through for a few mins?

Thanks, sorry for long post but I haven't done many bleach and tone clients before! :)

Why has she got the orange band?
Did someone rinse bleach off too soon or have they used a tint?

When you say orang what level wiuld you say it's at?

I bleach roots, bleach & pastel the band (can't give timing as can't see the hair)

Then as you've said apply toner to roots. You might be better doing this in sections if it's going to grab fast

Remember the band is further away from the scalp so has no heat, lifting orange tones like this can sometimes be more challenging than lifting the roots. Depending on depth do a 'virgin' application. Apply band first with 6%. Then apply regrowth.

Lightening previously lightened hair is actually harder to lift than what the natural regrowth would be.

My advice would be to lift the orange band first, until it's lifted half way to the desired undercoat (which would be yellow, if it's orange ATM). Then go in and apply the pre lightner to the regrowth until very pale yellow undercoat is achieved. Rinse, tone with desired toner. I always apply to the roots first, then take through for last few mins if it's porous! Hope that helps!

I'd either go and do the regrowth with lightener and 20 vol, then lightener with 10 vol over the band. Or depending on how large the band is bring the lightener for the regrowth down to the band and ever so slightly feather it off.

Lightening previously lightened hair is actually harder to lift than what the natural regrowth would be.

My advice would be to lift the orange band first, until it's lifted half way to the desired undercoat (which would be yellow, if it's orange ATM). Then go in and apply the pre lightner to the regrowth until very pale yellow undercoat is achieved. Rinse, tone with desired toner. I always apply to the roots first, then take through for last few mins if it's porous! Hope that helps!

I completely agree. The band will probably be harder to lift than the roots, so tackle that first, then lighten the regrowth. As stated, tone the roots first, then work it through to the ends.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Trick to toning is start at most yellow point - usually the nape- but sometimes the ends.

Also condition before, it makes a massive difference. Gives you a slightly longer working time and you don't get tonal grab.

Lift the band first low and slow it will be cleaner, so pastel is fine then go in with the roots last!....roots will take quick due to heat from the head then tone starting mid lengths and ends first roots last hth x

Latest posts

Back