Removing purple

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patricia Bearcroft

Sissor Geek
Reaction score
So my client had purple hair normally used Clynol 5.9 + 8.9 ... she then wanted it dark purple roots and bright pink ends, so to minimise damage I used just the 5.9 on the roots and bleached out the ends with olaplex (which left a orange colour) .. enough was enough for one day so I put rusk pink mixed with BC treatment to dilute on and it come out alrite x

Client has since used a semi plum colour oon ends as they are fading very fast and as she likes the colour so much then on full head to try and get top bit to match,

Well because she wants it all this plum colour (which is very bright as it's over bleached hair) I have to get the top bit to match...

I have said it will take about 6 months as doing the ends really damaged her hair ... it just can't take the bleach even though we used olaplex...

Now i know about the colour wheel and know to use yellow to neutralise purple but what has been peoples experiences with this and how has it worked? What products worked best? And would you just do the top where the permanent colour is? Or the whole head as the lengths and ends are already at our target?

I have used purple to neutralise yellow... but not the other way round?...

I would strip the colour out the hair, and start again. You could just strip the roots and leave the ends out. Once colour is out. Full head of bleach. If hair condition will allow, then the purple.
Hope that helps.
I'm fairly new so maybe someone will have a better recommendation.

If she's used a vibrant direct dye purple, the only one I know that's similar and permanent is Elumen by Goldwell.
Otherwise, as chazz says, you'll need to remove the old colour and bleach to at least an 8 before applying a purple direct dye. If you apply a direct dye onto tinted hair, it won't be as vibrant.

Note of caution: applying direct dye onto very porous hair inevitably causes variation in colour tone which can look very nice but if the client wants a deep global purple, you'll probably have to apply it twice.

Lots of good brands but I recommend you avoid the purple by crazy colour as that fades out a yucky green.

You have no idea how pleased I am my advice was right lol

Wicked thanks guys, I really wanted to try and neutralise the purple and then use highlift get it to a lighter brown before using a low peroxide bleach to get it light enough to put the purple over it (so I didn't have the harshness of the stripper)

Do you think that would be possible if I put a yellow toned colour on to take some purple away then put highlift to get it lighter (6-7) Then bleach to an 8?? I had a thought that this over 3-4 appointments would be a lot better for the hair integrity

Or shall I go straight for stripper??

Also have you used olaplex with stripper?? Can it be done?? If that's the best way I want to keep the hair in best shape

Colour does not lift colour. So even if you neutralise the purple is not going to lift with high lift. Bleach or being stripped out is the only way. Bleach is not to bad if using correctly. Use 20vol and leave it longer. Wrap head in cling film. Plus high lift is really not that great for the hair either. So high lifting and bleach will be worse than just bleaching.

Highlift? Stripper? Nooo.

Don't use effasor or anything bleach based to remove the old colour.

Try a decent colour reducer such as Affinage Eraser. It's very gentle and only removes artificial (permanent) colour and doesn't cause damage. You have to follow the instructions very carefully and agitate the hair constantly during the long rinsing process. If she's only had pro colours on her hair, it will be easy to remove.

You can apply up to 3 times and then use bleach & no higher than 6% afterwards to lift it.

I'd probably do this in one sitting but you'll need to allow about 3 hours and charge accordingly.

Highlift? Stripper? Nooo.

Don't use effasor or anything bleach based to remove the old colour.

Try a decent colour reducer such as Affinage Eraser. It's very gentle and only removes artificial (permanent) colour and doesn't cause damage. You have to follow the instructions very carefully and agitate the hair constantly during the long rinsing process. If she's only had pro colours on her hair, it will be easy to remove.

You can apply up to 3 times and then use bleach & no higher than 6% afterwards to lift it.

I'd probably do this in one sitting but you'll need to allow about 3 hours and charge accordingly.

Thank you i am going to try this, I have stripped and bleached hair before and I don't want to use them anymore (well as little as I can!) I was looking for an answer that leaves the hair in best condition, and you said there is no damage so will give it a try! :)

Thank you

Latest posts

Back