Removing red nail polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MummyCat

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a client that came in for a quick file and polish but she had a red Chanel nail polish on which she said she had applied herself (3 coats!!!) she told me that she had applied a base coat too.

So I continued to remove her nail polish, trying to be very careful and using one lint free wipe per nail, holding down for a few seconds and wiping away without smearing, however her nails. surrounding skin and my skin were stained after!

I removed the nail polish using nail polish remover to remove the excess and then tried to give a good scrub after with Scrub Fresh after but literally nothing was coming off onto the wipe once I'd removed the main nail polish...the skin surrounding her nails were very dry and the colour seemed to have embedded into it.

Do you have any hints or tips to avoid this happening in the future?

The removal of the polish literally took longer than the actual service itself too, would you suggest to clients that they remove their own nail polish if its one that you haven't applied?

Many thanks x

I do find a good quality nail varnish remover helps. I don't know what you use, but I find Nailtiques acetone free is excellent as is the CND Nourishing remover. Both have removed the most stubborn varnish really well. Try holding the NVR pad on the nail for a few seconds and draw it firmly towards you, limiting the amount of side to side movement. Hope that helps x

Have a look at fingernail fixer on YouTube, she has a video with tips for removing vinylux. Really helpful

Yesterday I had a client that came in for a quick file and polish but she had a red Chanel nail polish on which she said she had applied herself (3 coats!!!) she told me that she had applied a base coat too.

So I continued to remove her nail polish, trying to be very careful and using one lint free wipe per nail, holding down for a few seconds and wiping away without smearing, however her nails. surrounding skin and my skin were stained after! Even the plastic backed pads that Fingernailfixer uses in her videos do not remove as well as a gauze pad will do the job. All these things do other jobs well but not polish removal.

I removed the nail polish using nail polish remover to remove the excess and then tried to give a good scrub after with Scrub Fresh after but literally nothing was coming off onto the wipe once I'd removed the main nail polish...the skin surrounding her nails were very dry and the colour seemed to have embedded into it.

Do you have any hints or tips to avoid this happening in the future?

The removal of the polish literally took longer than the actual service itself too, would you suggest to clients that they remove their own nail polish if its one that you haven't applied?

Many thanks x

I have three very big hints

If you see the skin is very dry BEFORE you start the removal, then Use Solar Oil first on every finger.

1. Never use lint free wipes to remove polish period, is my motto. They feel slippery, slimy and there is nothing to grip and drag the polish off the nail. Cotton pads are rubbish at removal as well and so are thin, papery lint free wipes .. which do only what they say ... WIPE not absorb the colour and remove.

2. The very best pad to use for removing polish in my opinion is a Nail Techs Choice gauze pad. The textured surface removes the polish without sliding and there is enough 'filling' in the centre of the pad to hold the right amount of remover to really do the job and do it well without smearing it. Don't believe me? Invest in just one packet and see.

3. Saturate the Gauze filled pad and hold a corner of it firmly in place on the nail surface for 8-10 seconds before you press and grip tightly and draw the pad Toward you along with the colour, off the nail. Repeat if necessary with a clean corner of the pad. That small time of holding the pad in place will save you minutes as well as the use of may more pads. This is the professional way.

Those who have trouble removing ordinary polish or Vinylux Polish are either,
not using the right remover
not using the right kind of pad
or not following the professional technique of removal.

Last edited:
I do find a good quality nail varnish remover helps. I don't know what you use, but I find Nailtiques acetone free is excellent as is the CND Nourishing remover. Both have removed the most stubborn varnish really well. Try holding the NVR pad on the nail for a few seconds and draw it firmly towards you, limiting the amount of side to side movement. Hope that helps x

Using a quality nail polish remover could be where I went wrong. I generally save my Nourishing Remover for use with other CND products (Vinylux and Shellac) and use a Salon Services own nail polish remover for regular polish, simply because I didn't think it mattered.

But if its going to make my life easier, I'm definitely going to get a better remover, even if its just for removing darker/higher pigmented colours!

Thank you for your help x

I have three very big hints

If you see the skin is very dry BEFORE you start the removal, then Use Solar Oil first on every finger.

1. Never use lint free wipes to remove polish period, is my motto. They feel slippery, slimy and there is nothing to grip and drag the polish off the nail. Cotton pads are rubbish at removal as well and so are thin, papery lint free wipes .. which do only what they say ... WIPE not absorb the colour and remove.

2. The very best pad to use for removing polish in my opinion is a Nail Techs Choice gauze pad. The textured surface removes the polish without sliding and there is enough 'filling' in the centre of the pad to hold the right amount of remover to really do the job and do it well without smearing it. Don't believe me? Invest in just one packet and see.

3. Saturate the Gauze filled pad and hold a corner of it firmly in place on the nail surface for 8-10 seconds before you press and grip tightly and draw the pad Toward to and the colour off the nail. Repeat is necessary with a clean corner of the pad. That small time of holding the pad in place will save you minutes as well as the use of may more pads, if you do not do it. This is the professional way.

Those who have trouble removing polish of Vinylux Polish are either,
not using the right remover
not using the right kind of pad
or not following the professional technique of removal.

Of course! Using Solar Oil would create a barrier between the skin and colour!!! That is such an awesome tip and definitely one that I shall use when removing dark colours!

I've just had a look at those gauze pads, and shall definitely be investing in some...they're the same price as the ones I'm currently using and if they're going to make my life easier, then they're definitely worth buying.

Thank you for your advice x

I'm so happy you asked this question since I've had this happen too. Isn't it great when they shove the polish into the eponychium and sidewalls? When the nourishing remover first came out I thought I would only use it for shellac and use cheap remover for everything else, but time is money and now it's the only remover I use. I will put Geeg's tips into practice and hopefully I can get those pads in the US. Going to check now.

Latest posts

Back