Rent a chair also taking money from mobile clients?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND2304

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry that it isn't strictly hair related but I wasn't sure where to ask and I know rent a room works the same for hair and beauty.
Basically my friend did my eyebrows tonight and works in a salon whereby she pays 30% of her earnings, she said the first month is free (not sure if she has to pay a set rate aswell) but anyway that's isn't my question. She told me that even when she does mobile outside of the salon the salon have told her she has to give 30% of that aswell?! Surely that's not allowed is it? I told her to not tell them she's doing mobile but as she is new I think she is a bit worried they will find out as she said they will notice her taking her equipment in and out of the salon? Feel sorry for her as she is also 6 months pregnant and trying to save and they seem to be taking the p!!
Any advice appreciated so I can show her or can anyone direct me to the right place to ask. Thanks guys X

Is she self employed?

Yeah she pays a percentage, not employed X

If she's self employed then no. There not entitled to take a percentage of her mobile earnings. Is all the equipment hers? If she has no contract then it's totally BS! Xx

If she's self employed then no. There not entitled to take a percentage of her mobile earnings. Is all the equipment hers? If she has no contract then it's totally BS! Xx
Yeah the equipment is hers! I told her they shouldn't be doing this, sounded wrong to me but wanted to double check! It's so bad. Xx

If she's registered as self employed, they don't pay her a wage then they have no say in what she does. She can come and go as she pleases, they cannot dictate what hours she works ect. Really annoys me when salons want people to be self employed for their ease but expect to be able to treat them like employees! I'd tell her to pack her things and leave quick time , she doesn't want to work for someone like that x

They are not entitled to any of her earnings outside the salon. Cheeky beggars.

I do the same thing with beauty. I work part time from home and part time in a room where I pay 30%. The salon owners wouldn't dream of asking for my home salon earnings.

She is paying to use the room. Why should she pay when she is not using it? X

They are operating illegally. Tell your friend to pack her stuff and get otf asap.

Yep agree with Katy. Absolute BS! She can't be giving away her earnings! That's what there trying to do! Xx

Cheeky devils. That's verging on criminal behaviour. I wonder what HMRC would make of their arrangement?

They're just the landlord in the relationship and cannot dictate anything regarding her business (what prices she charges, her hours of business etc. ) whether inside the salon or when she's operating mobile.

Tell her to register on here and we will happily advise her.

I think if I was in that situation and six months pregnant I would tell the salon owner "that I was finding it all too much and for the health of the baby I would be cutting out my salon hours"
Then leave ASAP with all your stuff and your client details.
[emoji14][emoji14][emoji14][emoji4][emoji4]

Tha you for all your replies, I knew it wasn't right but just wanted to check as never been in that position myself! It's so bad, I can't believe they are getting away with it and I wonder how long they've been doing that! I'll tell her to register in here and will be showing her all your replies.xx

Tha you for all your replies, I knew it wasn't right but just wanted to check as never been in that position myself! It's so bad, I can't believe they are getting away with it and I wonder how long they've been doing that! I'll tell her to register in here and will be showing her all your replies.xx

Good, she needs to get away from that! It's absolutely ridiculous that they expect that! Not fair at all on the poor girl! Some people are just out to rip people off! Xx

Hi all, sorry that it isn't strictly hair related but I wasn't sure where to ask and I know rent a room works the same for hair and beauty.
Basically my friend did my eyebrows tonight and works in a salon whereby she pays 30% of her earnings, she said the first month is free (not sure if she has to pay a set rate aswell) but anyway that's isn't my question. She told me that even when she does mobile outside of the salon the salon have told her she has to give 30% of that aswell?! Surely that's not allowed is it? I told her to not tell them she's doing mobile but as she is new I think she is a bit worried they will find out as she said they will notice her taking her equipment in and out of the salon? Feel sorry for her as she is also 6 months pregnant and trying to save and they seem to be taking the p!!
Any advice appreciated so I can show her or can anyone direct me to the right place to ask. Thanks guys X
No she doesn't as a rent chair is self employed

As far as I'm aware if you rent a chair your self employed and if the salon was advertising then those clients who are those advertisements who come to salon would use one number and another number for your mobile work which you advertise as longs as the products or client hasn't come through owner it is her earnings and obviously making sure she is insured when mobile as the salon Insurance wouldn't cover her .

Also to catch the buggers out ask for receipt as 30% has to be told to tax man as that is paying out I. Sure of it but could be wrong x

Latest posts

Back