Rent a chair or rent unit, what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byKaty

Reaction score
Hey geeks

So. I have Been offered a chair to rent for £75 for 3 days. Bring my own stock, towels provided. It's in the town centre right beside big car park which is only 40p an hour. No clients waiting but due to location should mean walk ins.

Another smaller salon 5min walk from home offered same deal. It's 10 min out of the town and has free parking and there are existing clients. The girl who works there is leaving as doesn't want to rent. They have also offered to lease the shop to me for £100 a week. The salons in town charge 100 for the week to rent chair.
Now I know I would have the rates and energy and phone bill as well as the rent which I need to find out first.

What would you do? I haven't a big client base myself yet, part of me thinks it could be great opportunity but the wrong time for me but another part of me is afraid I'm throwing away good opportunity and maybe I would be kicking myself down the line. Any opinions welcome.
I should add, I currently do 30 hours a week as civil servant so still a steady income coming in. My plan was to stay there when I started renting chair til I got business off the ground.
Tia xx

anyone?

was hoping to hear from geeks who had made the leap into going self employed themselves.

What's the unit like? Does it need much doing to it or is it ready to move into?
The fact that you have other employment could be a blessing or a curse. People like to pop into salons and get a feel. If you're closed it can really put people off. It sounds really reasonably priced but what's the turnover like? Have you asked to see her books?

I personally would need a lot more info before I could make a decision.

Do you have a back up plan? Ie the salon is empty and there are no clients. Can you afford to live?

I don't want to be negative but have a good look at all the outgoings. It isn't just rates, energy, phone bill. Think of rubbish collection, insurance, WiFi, music licence and so on.

Is there much in the way of passing trade at the unit and what are others salons going for?

I was offered a good deal because the woman wanted to get out of her lease. She really tried to sell me it as a good deal but I took a rain check. She did eventually get out of her lease and I managed to negotiate something a lot better.

You need a lot more info and so does anyone trying to help you come to a decision.

Vic x

Thanks for your reply vic☺
Decided not to bother. It's taken her nearly 2 weeks to come back with a price for rental, she knew 2 days ahead that I was coming in to have initial chat and had no figures/prices ready. Then I called her yesterday to ask her to get me more info from accountant (who is also her partner!) And heard nothing. When I asked how many existing clients they had on books I never got a straight answer, they also mentioned they were averaging around £80 a day!? from bookings, which even for 1 stylist working there alone is low!!
I spoke to the stylist about their prices, as again, the owner didn't know the prices and she showed me them- all special offers that the owners put on around 2 years ago and never changed.
They clearly haven't a scooby do what they are at so I'm staying clear.
Wouldn't even rent a chair as by what the stylist said, I think they would be a nightmare to deal with purely by the way they can't be organised.

I'm glad you've come to a decision. Sometimes it's hard to let something go if it seems promising but all the indicators are that this want going to work if they're that slack.

Good luck in the future.

Vic x

Thanks vic☺
In the end it didn't feel right. I know I've made right decision. And after seeing your post in anther thread in hair section I've plenty of time for that yet! X

Latest posts

Back