Rent costing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani1

Reaction score
i opened my own beauty business about 13 weeks ago in a hairdressers, its a three story salon and when i was approached to rent a room i was under the illususion it would all be very professional, and a very modern salon- the rent was agreed that it would be £550 for the first 6 months and then go up to £750 there after....(baring in mind that it is away from the town centre and is on a parade of shops) although free parking. So i started and guess what! not professional, 4 dogs in the salon, was promised to me water supply would be upstairs on my floor and all decorated which is still not done, i have a toilet upstairs but again no water for clients to wash their hands.
The owners have never dealt with a beauty side to the business as only had a hairdressers before- the dogs poo and wee outside my room which is totally unacceptable and when i say to the owners they opologise and make jokes, the dogs bark throughout treatments and in some cases have actually come upto my room and scratch on the door.
I have had a meeting with both owners about the points above and they basically say the dogs arnt going anywhere! (but when i looked into renting i had no idea about the dogs!)
I love my room as i decorated it all myself, and bought all equipment in which cost me around 12,000 and is so disheartening as i dont know what to do!! please help as whether you think this is un acceptable or too high for rent and where to go from here!!!

Have you got a contract? I'd just get out of there if it was me ... As long as you can take your equipment with you :rolleyes: this sounds like an awful environment for you to be working in, I really sympathize with you and wish you a ton of luck getting thing sorted out.

Nic's

no i dont have a contract, again it was meant to be drawn up but still hasnt! yes everything is my own in that room! ah thank you very much thats sweet of you. do you know what the going rate is roughly?

Cut your losses and find somewhere else to rent. It doesn't seem like the sort of place which will change or that you could realistically build a professional buisness from. Regardless of the rent, cheap or expensive it's irrelavant if dogs are ***** outside your room. Good luck x

Tell them sorry but you cannot work in that sort of environment and your clients certainly wont want to have treatments their either, and the dog mess is not only disgusting but its a Health and Safety issue, so you are leaving. Then pack ya stuff up and leave!!

I would look for somewhere else, at least you have all your equipment ready to go!

Look at this as a very steep learning curve.

The owners sound like they couldn't care less about you or your business as long as they get their money! Best of luck with finding somewhere really nice and finding it soon xx

That is top money for room rent, and the least you should expect is running water and no dog poo!

It is no biggie getting water into 3rd floor rooms (I have 3 beauty rooms on my 3rd floor, all with hot and cold running water and one room with a shower).

The dogs should be behind a baby gate, and not allowed free roam of the salon. Lots of people don't like dogs. I take my Ted to work, but he is in the staff room in his bed. We have a baby gate.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I'm really struggling here! Just needed different opinions! Xx

Sorry Im only just getting back to you Dani, I dont have a clue with regards to rent though Im afraid!

Hope you've sorted things out x

Latest posts

Back