Renting a chair out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

em79

Reaction score
I want to rent a chair out in my salon to someone who already has a good client base but I'm unsure how to go about it and what's involved.

Anyone give me any pointers

I'd suggest advertising a chair for rent, tho a chair renter is self employed so you would have no say over hours they work/breaks/time off etc I'v previously rented chair on a weekly rent basis tho some people prefer to charge per day, my chair renters supplier all there own products and equipment, and took all there own appointments and had to hire there own assistant, I had issues in the past were I arrived at work and my chair renter had all her prices advertised in the window under cutting me! So if seriously consider every aspect, have it in writing everything there expected to supply shampoo towels etc.. also had a chair renter who hired another stylist to work with her!! I would be crystal clear with your arrangement at the beginning you would be surprised what they expect! also another rule I had to implement was that all walk ins belonged to the salon staff, if we were busy and the client couldn't come back then we offered it to the renter, you may get someone lovely who understands renting a chair or you could get a nightmare renter best lay down the guide lines at the start maybe even a written agreement, I'd also highly recommend checking that they have their own insurance,

Defo get in writing that they are renting a chair as in one salon I worked in there was a stylist renting a chair on a 50/50 split basis it wasn't working out so the boss gave her notice, she took him to and employment tribunal for unfair dismissal claiming she worked for him cash in hand and he had sacked her! She won because he had no proof that she was a renter!

Oh also the law has changed that you have to pay vat on all chair renters now, were as before hand you could just put it down as income, so don't no if it would be worth registering for vat for a renter, tho I don't think many places actually declare that that have a renter

Is all this the same for a beauty salon as I'm a beauty salon only

I'm not sure about beauty salons but I'd presume it's the same

Latest posts

Back