Renting a chair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pink_n_fluffy0

Reaction score
I am about to finally get my level 2 NVQ. Now the fun part is trying to find work. The problem is there are hardly any jobs going, I have an interview in a salon an hour away this afternoon but that's it. How much experience do you need to rent a chair?

Hi, I suppose the more salon hairdressing experience you have then the better ,
so in all honesty I would say at least a year or more after you have qualified ,

Clients will ususally ask you lots of questions about when you finished your training ? some clients even think they can ask you whats the rent like here ? ...do you make much money? do you have to buy all your own stock and does it cost you much ?
is it better wages for you than in a salon ?
you wouldnt believe the questions you get asked by some clients :green:

They think they are entitled to ask things of you
because you are renting a chair and you sort of have your own business

some will even ignore the price list and try to negotiate the prices with you and ask for discount ect ... :eek:
These are just a few things you may encounter.

Also it wont instill potential clients with confidence if you have no salon experience behind you no matter how good you are ,

they may say to friends ..psst.....she's fresh out of college ,
best go to the other hairdresser in there ect.... ect...
sorry but it does happen :cry:

I say this because when you work for yoursef renting a chair ,
you have only your own self to rely upon and no one else at all
and you will be expected to know it all .

usually you will have no back up or other expert opinions behind you, which can make a renter feel very much on their own
and you have to trust in your own judgement completely,
therefore at these times you will need a lot of experience to draw upon ,

eg: just say you have a major colour correction on your hands and you are there on your own :eek: !...
every hairdresser likes to consult and check out various colour options with another professional even if its just to verify that you are making the best colour choices and methods for the client ,

Sometimes when you are renting , other hairdressers that you rent with are ok with sharing professional info
but some may not want to give you much hairdressing input
as you are now thier competition ect ... (so why should they ?)

on the other hand some may be a bit helpful but don't count on it.

Or you may be the only renter there!
this has its good points and bad points as you can imagine ,

So I am sorry if I sound negative but ....
you will have to be prepared for all these scenarios .

hope that made sense and helped a bit :hug: minky x

I know it may seem hard to find a job out there right now, alot of people are in the same boat as you BUT maybe for your sake right now it would be better to try and find a salon that will take you on to gain experience untill you want to branch out and feel confident enough to go alone.

Even the best of hairdressers ask for advice and if you rent a chair its not always there , I work in a salon(don't rent a chair) and when I first passed all my training I would ask one of the other colourist questions just to run past them what I was going to do etc and she was never very helpful to be honest quite vague , so I learnt very quickly you have to be confident in yourself, thats why I love coming on here because you can share ideas and problems and ask advice and you will always have someone to answer even if its just to reasure you on your way :hug:

goodluck with your interview

Chair renting is really for experienced stylists with a good clientele. As a college leaver you really need to find a job working alongside stylists who inspire and inform you. Your training has only taught you the basics and you will benefit hugely from working alongside experienced people. Best of luck x

The problem I have is there are no jobs at all i have been searching for months. I have even offered to work part time for free. Money isnt a problem I just need to get some experience some how but I am running out of ideas.

The problem I have is there are no jobs at all i have been searching for months. I have even offered to work part time for free. Money isnt a problem I just need to get some experience some how but I am running out of ideas.

Hi pink n fluffy , at this quiet, time would you consider doing a barber course ? or a colouring course ?
or even your level three ?
as now sounds like a good time to get some more training behind you whilst there are no jobs going ,
then when you have more training behind you you could get a better paid job ect..... :)

Hi pink n fluffy , at this quiet, time would you consider doing a barber course ? or a colouring course ?
or even your level three ?
as now sounds like a good time to get some more training behind you whilst there are no jobs going ,
then when you have more training behind you you could get a better paid job ect..... :)

I am starting my level 3 and barbering in september

I am starting my level 3 and barbering in september

Wow thats fabulous, great news ,I am sure employment offers will follow readily with the high level of skills you will be gaining :)
good luck with it all :hug:

Latest posts

Back