Renting a room, is it right for me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a quick look, here is one in Morpeth at only £50 a week!
Sam Allan Estates}

another one in cramlington - commerical property you may be able to convert the use for £260/month
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/17271707?search_identifier=85c6f0bded27f4f34df7346a5aed61a8

and this is a shop for the same price as she is going to charge you.
http://www.zoopla.co.uk/to-rent/details/17734506?search_identifier=85c6f0bded27f4f34df7346a5aed61a8

I know some of them would need more work than you want to put in, but I just wanted to show you so you have something to make a comparison to. best of luck

Thanks for the link Hun! Has defiantly put the price into perspective!! :) xxx

Why wouldn't you be able to work somewhere 1-2 days, or evenings?
I have someone working for me 2 x week....

I'm at college 2 and work 3. I will look into trying to get somewhere on
A Saturday though :) x

Sorry to be the one to look at it from the salon owners perspective - I wouldn't want to take someone who only can do 1 day a week. I'd offer it to whoever enhances my business too as it works both ways.
I would say get some salon experience first, even if it's a placement whilst training. I promise it will make a difference. Some people in affluent areas expect very high standards and may moan at your progressive skills as they want a more educated and experienced therapist.
But please don't take this the wrong way and be offended.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the reply. I agree! I'm going to look into getting something on a Saturday just for experience. :) xx

Sorry to be the one to look at it from the salon owners perspective - I wouldn't want to take someone who only can do 1 day a week. I'd offer it to whoever enhances my business too as it works both ways.
I would say get some salon experience first, even if it's a placement whilst training. I promise it will make a difference. Some people in affluent areas expect very high standards and may moan at your progressive skills as they want a more educated and experienced therapist.
But please don't take this the wrong way and be offended.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

I would agree with Shazza and as a salon owner having worked alongside a renter for 2 years, I would like to offer some input.

The reason the owner is asking for so much is because she probably cannot rent out for the vacant days to someone doing the same treatments. Therefore, it is not cost effective for her. Otherwise I feel the daily rate would be lower as we often discount if you are there all week!

By the sounds of it the owner is being very flexible especially giving you a key. A lot of insurance companies would not allow this so she is trying to help.

When we first rented we allowed our renter to have the first 2 weeks free. We also allowed a friend or delegate to work to cover their holidays. This maybe something you could offer to ensure continuity for your clients. I would also ask the owner for clarification on rental charges when absent from the salon. Most landlords will request that rental payment is still paid.

We also allowed one free week holiday as a good will gesture in the first year whilst building their client base up.

I also feel that you could be overstretching yourself whilst still training and I agree with what has been said and complete your level 3, it will allow you to offer so much more in the long run.

If you decide to go ahead make sure you get a contract and understand it fully and add anything that you feel is relevant and discuss with your landlord.

We offered lots of extras such as using our PDQ but never charged interest on it.

We allowed text messages from our salon system although it was excluded in the contract.

We offered the use of our internet services for facebook etc, when it was internet use was excluded.

Check if printing is included, in our contract it wasn't and the renter started to complain when we asked to share costs.

They also used our booking system which really helped when she had her days off as it was the receptionist making bookings for them.

In our contract they had the option to manage everything themselves but they preferred us to do most things. However, with hindsight we would recommend being completely independent.

Wish you every success for your future career and remember when little things go wrong between you, which they will, be open and honest and discuss.

Latest posts

Back