Renting a room or renting a property

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracyS

Reaction score
I'd like opinions from all on this one please.

This is the scenario, you have £x to spend per month on a place to run your salon from. For that money, you can either rent a room within an established business (non competitive in nature) good location etc, or you can rent your own property. The cost of the property is inclusive of rent, rates, bills etc so no hidden property costs other than maintenance (which I realised could be nothing or a hideous amount!).

What would you do? Rent space or rent a building/unit/shop?

Have you found a suitable premises and room to rent already?

I'm in a similar position myself. Have found a premises, but scared about taking on a whole premises in case doesn't work. I would rather rent a room because then if you needed to expand you would have more clients to take with you. My problem is there isn't anywhere suitable with a room to rent.

Write down a list of pros and cons for each.

I currently rent a room but really want my own space, so i can come and go as i please, advertise how i want to and be a little more free :)
From the research iv done i can get something for very similar for the same monthly out goings.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

Have you found a suitable premises and room to rent already?

I'm in a similar position myself. Have found a premises, but scared about taking on a whole premises in case doesn't work. I would rather rent a room because then if you needed to expand you would have more clients to take with you. My problem is there isn't anywhere suitable with a room to rent.

Write down a list of pros and cons for each.

Hi hun,

No, I currently rent space within a hair salon, was having a conversation today with the owner about rent etc, all very chilled and relaxed so no issues, went on later today to be chatting to a friend and fellow therapist and when I mentioned what I was paying her comment was that I could have my own place for the the same, potentially less, money.

So it got me thinking. I see the benefits in both but wondered what other geeks in a similar position would think, or even those not in that position, love to hear all opinions

xx

Hi hun,

No, I currently rent space within a hair salon, was having a conversation today with the owner about rent etc, all very chilled and relaxed so no issues, went on later today to be chatting to a friend and fellow therapist and when I mentioned what I was paying her comment was that I could have my own place for the the same, potentially less, money.

So it got me thinking. I see the benefits in both but wondered what other geeks in a similar position would think, or even those not in that position, love to hear all opinions

xx
I'd love to just pay my rent and nothing else I would be soooooo much better off, There's a lot more than just rent to pay for when owning a salon-rent,
Gas, electric, water, phone, 2music licences, biz rates, insurance, stock, tea coffee, chip and pin machine(if you had one) believe me it all mounts up. 😃 Xxx

I had a situation like this. But decided to rent a room in the established salon in a very good area. I worked there for 3 years just paying a comission. And then an opportunity came up to have a whole shop to myself. It's a lot dearer to run your own shop. But I have already built up my own strong client base. Guaranteeing regular repeat
business. It has been a year since that and just employed a never of staff.

Hope this

Bit different cos I'm a hairdresser but I have the perfect set up, I rent a room, there are three of us in the building - accupunture, me and nails and we all have our own lockable doors so can come and go as we please and run our businesses seperately. All I pay is rent all bills etc are included. It's perfect. I always know my out goings! We have a shared kitchen and toilet and all put in £4 a week for tea, coffee, loo rolls cleaning stuff etc. works brill! Found it on gum tree!!

Don't mean to brag ;-) just thought you could look for something similar or rent a building and do similar!!

Xx

might be easier to think about where you want to be in the future?? ie if you want to take on staff and add treatments and grow the business then a shop would be the better option and if you already have an established client base then half the work is done.

I agree with Souz. I have built up a great client base renting a room, but no space means that I can't expand. If you have the clients, I'd go for the shop - if not perhaps the room would be better. However....would it be possible to take on the premises and then rent out a nail table or a treatment room for someone like a physio or massage therapist - someone who's not going to tread on your toes? That way you have an extra income! Hope that helps, and best of luck x

Really appreciate all your input. All in all, I think I'm better off staying put for the time being. I'm in no real hurry to take on the responsibility of staff (had enough of that in my previous incarnations!), I enjoy working with the stylists, a bit of craic when making a cuppa etc and I don't believe enough of a full book as yet to justify opening somewhere else alone.

I have 2 lovely treatment rooms, sure, I'd like more control over opening hrs etc but I like the people I'm renting from, even if I don't always agree with them.

I think I'll look at a future of being in my own Salon but at this stage it's probably a risk I don't need to take.

Thanks guys
xx

Hi Tracy, are you still thinking of renting your own property? Did you say you were a hairdresser? if you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying at the minute per month? And do you have a strong clientele?

Many Thanks

Latest posts

Back