Repetitive strain!! :-(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just beenn diagnosed with repetitive strain in my wrist. I remember a brief conversation about this in training and how it can be an issue for us nail techs.
Can anyone tell me how badly this may affect me doing nails? Have u had it before - if so is its something u fully recover from when still doing the same job! I know i should have asked my doc earlier but i was in such a hurry - u always think of the questions afterwards!

There are many things you can do to alleviate this problem and even prevent it from ever returning:)

1. Always 'keep a smile in your hands' - in other words, are your hands nice and relaxed whilst you are working? Please don't have them tensed up even when your client's hands are stiff and tense, you should be smiling, your hands should be smiling, trying to relax your client and even more importantly, relaxing your own hands:)
  2. Is your client using SolarOil????? ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to ensure the product is soft, flexible and easy to file...making your rebalancing job much easier on the hands and wrists.
  3. Is the rest of your body relaxed, in alignment, shoulders unhunched, chair at it's proper height, etc? Have you been trained properly in the science of 'ergonomics'?
  4. Are you taking breaks between clients, practising good 'stretch and relax' techniques' between clients?
  5. Is your product applied thinly enough that you don't have to spend ages thinning down what's there already in order to re-apply?
HTH :)

I have a problem with my wrist & thumb on the right hand usually brought on after a particularly busy period (always after Xmas) I mainly do acrylic enhancements and I am sure its the filing that brings it on I use my file correctly so know its not this, anyway I did a conversion with Creative last year and after a few teething problems (my own fault) I am now more determined to switch to Creative it is a dream to shape & finish with very little effort so therefore no strain or pressure on my wrist or thumb. Maybe this is something you need to look at as if like me it means preventing discomfort and prolonging my career then its for me.

I'm a hairdresser and mines always worse over xmas! frequent stretches, no heavy lifting and rest when you can. a cold compress really helps a lot too

Latest posts

Back