Retail Ranges - One or more?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex-Lydia

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on retail products.

At the moment I retail all the Matrix range - Biolage, Essentails, Vavoom, Design Pulse, and also Moroccan Oil. I am happy with them and they do sell well. I took Moroccan Oil on as it does not clash with Matrix (and of course I love it). However, since joining SG I have noticed several solons retail more then one range of products that directly compete with each other and I would love to know how it works out, as I like the idea but am unsure about a commitment to a completely new range that may clash with what I already have. Does it mean having a high and low end range? Or just a different style of product? Also how do you train your staff deal with the two ranges?

Would love to hear your views,

Thanks,

Alex-Lydia

I used to work in a salon that retailed 11 different brands. Customers used to get confused and a lot of the time the stylists had their favourites and other products and ranges got forgotten about...
I think it's important to have two different ranges that complement each other and yet offer different benefits and prices so that people in different situations have a professional choice over what they use on their hair. But you are right, you don't want conflicting ranges so you have two or more ranges that are doing the same thing, at a similar price or not even the hairdresser will know why they're recommending that particular product...
I retail the whole Tigi range as I feel they have something for everyone. Tigi Bedhead looks very different from the Tigi S Factor range for example. It has different prices and different ethos and aim. I chose Tigi as the range we offer as we use Tigi Pro colour. I think this backs up the belief we have in the products. It's like we're saying that it's all good and it will benefit you when you take it home and use the after care.
You always want to have products you believe in, understand, and would absolutely use on your own hair, and in the salon too. I don't understand when things are being recommended in the salon but they don't use them there!! Crazy!
This is my belief when it comes to retail. :)

Thanks for your view Highvoltagekaty, I appreciate it - 11 brands in one salon - I would not be able to fit my clients in with all that stock! I think maybe 2 will be fine for me:lol: I am thinking that with Matrix I need a more highend range - I will have to do some research - any recommendations are welcome please x

Latest posts

Back