Revlon/L'Oreal make up for use in salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalonOwner89

Reaction score
We are about to introduce make up as part of our hairdressing salon and was wondering if it's frowned apon to use make up such as Revlon or Loreal instead of more expansive brand?

I wouldn't be retailing any make up and I feel my clients would appreciate that I am using affordable brands so they could go and buy it for themselves? I could be wrong!

I don't know if this is a big no no or if it is accepted.

Thoughts please!

The cost won't be much cheaper than something like MAC though, no?

No no in my opinion. I want the good stuff and so do my clients.

We are about to introduce make up as part of our hairdressing salon and was wondering if it's frowned apon to use make up such as Revlon or Loreal instead of more expansive brand?

I wouldn't be retailing any make up and I feel my clients would appreciate that I am using affordable brands so they could go and buy it for themselves? I could be wrong!

I don't know if this is a big no no or if it is accepted.

Thoughts please!
Why wouldn't you retail yet use products clients can buy? Not all salon make up is hugely expensive. We've retailed £1400 in make up since the beginning of the year so you could be missing a trick.

Vic x

I found when I had my pro working kit full of Lancome, bobbi brown, Mac, Chanel etc that I were missing out on retailing! There are so many ranges that are affordable that don't require a huge start up - I now stock & use Jane Iredale but it cost me 3k, Lily Lolo is another brand which has a small opening order, young blood etc all of which you'll be able to retail. As a consumer I wouldn't want loreal or reckon on my face I'd expect a pro brand at least X

Think of it another way,
How would you feel if you went to a hairdressers and they used a box dye on your hair?
I don't think you'd really feel like you'd got what you paid for.

I'd prefer pro brands to be honest, to feel like I was receiving a professional service otherwise I could pop to boots and do it myself.

I know it's not just about the products, it's about technique/training/talent but clients rarely think that deep into things. x

If you did my make up & I loved it I would buy the make up you used on me :)

I'm a hairdresser & I wouldn't use a box dye on a client, because their rubbish, I think revlon & loreal make up would be too tbh compared to a professional product.

as others have said, pro only and there is a reason why there are pro only products and the cheap nasties that you buy in boots. are you looking to target a specific market such as bridal? if so then look for pro brands that will help your clients achieve the look they are wanting.

Thank you ladies!

This was my initial opinion but I had a friend saying otherwise!

What brands can you have a pro card in the uk? We are going for a glamourous evening look, not too much bridal.

Thank you again!

Latest posts

Back