S.O.S Please help! nails keep breaking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebestnails

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in need of some serious help :cry: , seem to be having a reoccuring problem and don't seem to be able to fix it.

My ginea pigs a.ka family members seem to be suffering from nails breaking. I have tried applying more product(gel/l&p) cos i thought i was applying too thinly but it keeps happening.

Advised them to be careful as I know they can be a lil heavy handed but doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

What do I do? I am slowly loosing my mind. :irked:

P.s was wondering if it is worth etching white tips to help with bonding when using l&p or gel.:rolleyes:

Been using interactive for l&p and nailite gentle gel at the moment for gel. Should be getting some Ibd gel through in the next few days so not sure if it is the products either. Will be converting to creative soon for l&p but was wondering if anyone can recommend any alternatives.

Thanks
Zeeee :)

zebestnails said:
My ginea pigs a.ka family members seem to be suffering from nails breaking. I have tried applying more product(gel/l&p) cos i thought i was applying too thinly but it keeps happening.
Where are you applying the 'extra' product? if it isn't in the stress area then the nail won't be balanced enough to take the everyday strain we put on them. Each person has their stress area in a different place, it doesn't have to be where the tip is applied to the nail... have a look at this thread Press For Stress and see if helps explain it a bit better.

zebestnails said:
P.s was wondering if it is worth etching white tips to help with bonding when using l&p or gel.:rolleyes:
when you use white tips you always need to buff off the shine before applying product to them.
if you're using white tips with gel then you might get undercuring as the UV light tends to bounce off the white tips. can you use a white sculpting gel or a Paint On White for your white placement instead of the white tips? you will probably get better results that way.

from looking at your profile you've only just started doing nails, it's still early days sweetheart, don't go beating yourself up over things that will improve naturally as time goes by and you practice more along with some skillbuilding classes thrown in along the way :hug:

hth's :wink2:

Where abouts are the enhancements breaking hun ?

I know my clients natural nails usually break after I start asking them are they are any medication. Like antibiotics or something like that. I have a lady who is going threw menopouse and she has been using hormone pills and her nails broke one by one. So she started using calcium and magnesium and it is going much better now.

It can be anything. Sometimes their nails break because they do stuff with them they will never tell you about, but you find it out sooner or later.

If you can see it is not your fault and none of the other clients nails are breaking, charge them to fix it. Then you know they are doing something.

becki x said:
Where abouts are the enhancements breaking hun ?

Its usually around the tip area. Not always around what I believed to be the stress area

Monique said:
I know my clients natural nails usually break after I start asking them are they are any medication. Like antibiotics or something like that. I have a lady who is going threw menopouse and she has been using hormone pills and her nails broke one by one. So she started using calcium and magnesium and it is going much better now.

It can be anything. Sometimes their nails break because they do stuff with them they will never tell you about, but you find it out sooner or later.

If you can see it is not your fault and none of the other clients nails are breaking, charge them to fix it. Then you know they are doing something.

I know what you mean, I am starting to think that they are actually picking at them and being heavy handed with things. Will try all of the above and see if It keeps happening.

Thanks guys, will try all of the above and see if it keeps happening. Trying to upload some pictures of my work but don't seem to be able to get my head around it. Need some help again:)

well i was gonna ask how ur blending the tips but are they all white tips u r using?
just i know alot of ppl use either acetone or tip blender to blend the tips adn this can cause the tips to break off easily or even crack...
Ooh also are your gineau pigs using cuticle oil(preferrably so;ar oil) and using rubber gloves when cleaning etc etc?after u have done the nails its their job to look afte rthem and nourish them so they get the best possible chance at life!
Sorry if i've been no help but i'm sure u will get it sorted soon!

Caren x x x

zebestnails said:
Its usually around the tip area. Not always around what I believed to be the stress area

Are you building up the stress area/apex sufficiently ?

As Sandi said,you have only just started so don't worry about it too much,hth x

Latest posts

Back