Salary & hours advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm setting up a new business having worked for myself for some time but don't really have much idea regarding current standard salaries and contracted hours, so I'd really appreciate your help.

I'm looking for a salon manager (Level 3 with at least 1 year experience of managing a salon plus 2-3 years practical experience). Would a salary of about £23-25,000 pa sound about right - I'm in the south-east.

I'm also after a Beauty Therapist (level 2) with at least 1-2 years experience and was thinking £15-17,000.

Hours would be 40 hours per week (with an hour for lunch) consisting of 5 day per week; every other week 1 of the days would be a late start and late finish (12pm-8pm) to accommodate late opening but the following week would be normal hours (basically I'm thinking of alternating the late opening so the therapists only have to do it every other week)

Does this sound fair?

I want to create an appealing, enjoyable and financially rewarding environment to work in to hopefully encourage loyalty and a lower rate of staff turnover.

Nobody? Any opinions at all on what's acceptable?

Nobody? Any opinions at all on what's acceptable?

It depends too much on where you are? and what treatments you offer? How many staff will your therapist be managing e.t.c. You really need to consider how much your business can afford first then go from their.

anything above minimum wage is 'acceptable' but you need to consider what duties you expect your staff to fulfill and what skills are needed.

I'd be wary of employing anyone to start with TBH.
If you are a therapist, start with just yourself, and possibly 1 P/T.

When I look back at my business plan 3 year's on, I have to have a little 'chuckle' at myself.
I'd planned for 2 other stylist, offering over the going rate, in order to attract quality staff.
The reality, however, was I would never have been able to afford them!:eek:

Your set up might be very different to mine, and you just might need them, in which case, well done you!
Just be cautious.;)

Latest posts

Back