Salon Hairdressing Apprenticeship

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barbie*

Reaction score
After trawling the internet I can't seem to find an answer, which is why i'm enlisting the help of you lovely ladies!

Has anyone trained to be a stylist through a salon as an apprentice. By this I mean receiving full training from the salon rather than going to college 1 day a week or something like that (large reputable company with training centres etc) and if so what was the wage? I know the minimum is £95 per week but I wanted an idea of what you were ACTUALLY paid for working/training in this way.

Thanks for any help!

Hi Barbie,
I trained as an apprentice for 4 years in a salon in 2001 and I got 120 euro per week for the 1st 2 years,I then got 150 euro for the last 2 years,hope this helps..

i trained in...2004-2006 and when i started i got £80 a week, when i finished i was one £125 a week. I know where i worked before our trainee was getting around £85 a week, that was in july last year x

Thanks so much for your replies, I know an apprentice can't be paid less than £95 per week, and that they should be paid at least minumum wage if over 19 and employed for over a year.

Do you think it would be best go to down the apprentice route or train on a 'fast track' course for an NVQ 2 and apply for junior stylist roles etc? How long would it take to gain an NVQ 2 if taking the apprentice route?

Anyone else done an apprenticeship? How did you find it?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Barbie,
I am doing my level 2 Hairdressing apprenticeship and go to college once a fortnight. I started in Sept last year and am due to finish by June this year.I was allowed to fast track mine and have been given lots of extra help and distance learning packs so I can finish quicker.I am on £95 a week and as I am 23 I am SUPPOSED to be getting the NMW after one year which will be June. But I am very doubtful I will receive this as my boss pays salary weekly and the girls salary divided by the hours is less than the NMW and what a lot of people dont realise it that salary still counts as NMW when divided by the hours you do!!

Hope that helps
Rach x

Latest posts

Back