Salon in your sitting room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmama

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I recently finished my NVQ3 in BT and decided to work from my upstairs box room. But when i spoke to the council on the phone, they said that as i do not have a sink in the room or disable access i would not be given a licence, so i stopped my dream before i had even started. The problem is that my yongest child is in nursery so i thought i would work 2 hours in the morning to make ends meet as i do not want to work full time with 3 kids.
But i have just had an idea, which i need advice on. If i can put a portable massage table in my front room and keep a trolley with everything i need for that particular client, do you think the council would let me have the licence. As the room is my sitting room i would not need to pay business rates and there should be no problem with disable access as there are no stairs.

In todays day and age where it is so hard to get a job why are the council so hell bent in making it impossible for us therapists to work peacefully from home. I think us homeworkers and mobiles have a greater sense of health and safety then most salons and i know loads of salons that have no disable access and no sinks in there treatment room.
I'm so dishearted that i want to through in the towel.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi everyone.
I recently finished my NVQ3 in BT and decided to work from my upstairs box room. But when i spoke to the council on the phone, they said that as i do not have a sink in the room or disable access i would not be given a licence, so i stopped my dream before i had even started. The problem is that my yongest child is in nursery so i thought i would work 2 hours in the morning to make ends meet as i do not want to work full time with 3 kids.
But i have just had an idea, which i need advice on. If i can put a portable massage table in my front room and keep a trolley with everything i need for that particular client, do you think the council would let me have the licence. As the room is my sitting room i would not need to pay business rates and there should be no problem with disable access as there are no stairs.

In todays day and age where it is so hard to get a job why are the council so hell bent in making it impossible for us therapists to work peacefully from home. I think us homeworkers and mobiles have a greater sense of health and safety then most salons and i know loads of salons that have no disable access and no sinks in there treatment room.

This is total madness.....plenty of therapists work from bedrooms without sinks and disabled access, plenty of salons are on first floors of shops without disabled access!! I don't have a sink in my treatment room but get round it using bowls of water and a hot towel cabbi and I have a sink in my kitchen and in my downstairs loo!

I really think you should go back to the council and ask to speak to someone else making the above points. If you do a search, I think you will find that other therapists have come up against this sort of thing before and have got a different answer from different people at the council!

Don't give up just yet....just go and make a complete pest of yourself!

Good luck
PB
x

Councils can be so awkward at times! Do you have a sink nearby (bathroom) upstairs?

I go to a therapist who works from am upstairs box room and there isn't a problem.

I occasionally work from my front room but I already had my clients from being mobile so it's more of a case they come to me if I can't fit them in anywhere in the nights I go out as I also have kids.

I agree with the above keep pestering the council it seems like certain people are just jobsworths.

Keep trying and don't give up!!

crikey! hope this doesnt happen to me as ive nearly finished doing out my spare room into a mini salon which is upstairs and hasnt got a sink!!

I agree its total madness and your right, half of the salons i've gone to have not had a sink in the treatment room so i have no idea why they are being so difficult. My treatment room upstairs has a bathroom less then 2 meters away yet they still want a sink in the room. Yours points are valid and i will say this to the council.
Thank you for the advice.

I hope your council is more understanding then mine.

Hi Missymish,
I do have a bathroom right in front of my treatment room up stairs but they still want one in the room. And the argument about disable access is just one that the council use to stop us therapists working for ourselves.

hi i,d get a quote from a plumber, use the living room , find a lovely piece of furniture to hide the hand basin or i,d do something like that. If the quote is too high offer beauty voucher as part payment for the wife, mother or sister. Raised 3 children on my own, you can do this.

Hi everyone.

If you worked in your front room would you still need a sink? You could say to the council that if need be you can use a downstair's room if someone has a problem with the stair's I think you only have to show that you have a disable access, if that makes sense?

The box room your wanting to use is it sololy for beauty? if so it's harder to can permission but if it's still used as a spare room you may find it's easier to get permission. Hope all that make's sense.

Oh and the other thing the council likes is a one in one out client system so now one is waiting.

Good luck and don't give up there is always a way around thing's.

Latest posts

Back