Salon or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsP

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been doing CND Shellac, Minx, D/D from home since July. (I don't do enhancements).
I have about 3-6 customers per week and growing and lots of interest in upcoming eyelash services too. I need to move out of the house (it is putting people off a little - as they think I'm a salon!)

I have found suitable premises and have someone interested in joining on a sub lease who does organic products. I have no money to put into it but it only needs the equipment I have for now - give or take a few posters! Then any money I make goes to new stock and hopefully some retail!

Would you do it at £750 per month or take the offer of 50/50 in an established cosmetic centre/beauty spa to be on the safeside!:rolleyes:

Thanks so much!!!:green:

Hello,

I have been doing CND Shellac, Minx, D/D from home since July. (I don't do enhancements).
I have about 3-6 customers per week and growing and lots of interest in upcoming eyelash services too. I need to move out of the house (it is putting people off a little - as they think I'm a salon!)

I have found suitable premises and have someone interested in joining on a sub lease who does organic products. I have no money to put into it but it only needs the equipment I have for now - give or take a few posters! Then any money I make goes to new stock and hopefully some retail!

Would you do it at £750 per month or take the offer of 50/50 in an established cosmetic centre/beauty spa to be on the safeside!:rolleyes:

Oh gosh, I would worry for you going into a salon of your own with no financial backing hun.

I personally would go into an establised salon either 50/50 or see if they will take a percentage of earnings if you supplying your own products, say 30% of your weekly takings?? Worth a try.

If you are currently only getting 3-6 clients per week a salon of your own is a lot to take on. Have you looked into all the rates you have to pay in depth? for example, just to play music in your salon will cost you a few hundred pounds a year!

I am a gel tech, I also do mani, pedi, gel toes, minx, DD etc. i average around 30 clients a week and would find it difficult to set up my own salon financially.

My advice would be to go into an established salon on a percentage basis, build up a full client base then re consider your options.

Hope this helps and good luck whatever you decide xx:)

Think you should sit down and do your figures properly before doing anything. Being honest I think you should take smaller steps than setting up a salon - look around at your options and see if there are any salons looking for someone to do nails -

I have a great girl who comes in to do gel nails and she pays a % of her earnings to me and basically means she doesn't have big set up costs just what products and nail equipment she needs, I can see that one day she will have a very successful nail business but at the moment she is taking small safe steps.

Start small, work your way up

Clare

I have a grant coming from our government and an allowance. Plus only pay half rent as someone else.
I am a big risk taker anyway! I have another business and have always thrown myself in! Hubby says figures all stack up (accountant) but it is the committment. I have a huge brand that I created and customers are surprised when they end up at my house!!:lol:

I appreciate those in the know giving me tips and it seems perhaps I am yet again being a bit ambitious!!!:green:

I see £££££££ for Xmas passing trade and SO tempted to just do it!!!!! Other wise I sit in my house with 3-6 clients per week and scrape by:rolleyes:

Sounds like you have already made your mind up so all the best with your venture!

Hello,

What is organic product???? I can not see it realistically being viable without you offering an enhancments service such as L&P or uv gel.

How would you deal with a client whom came to you with a chipped toe nail? or a finger nail which has been chipped and is smaller than others?

Do you offer manicures and pedicures? I do feel by offering minx shellac DD will only restrict you and TBH,, minx is a high end fashion product predominantly seasonal (spring summer) apart from xmas but I find dies off in the autumn a little, but most clients go every 4 weeks so not exactly regular so you would need to ensure you are charging £30 plus for your minx to earn you profit as such,,,,what can you offer that other salons cant? in fact you are giving a service which does not offer what most salons do which is enhancments.

Sorry it mind sound harsh but I just cant see it working, just my opinion hun xxx

What is organic product???? I can not see it realistically being viable without you offering an enhancments service such as L&P or uv gel.

How would you deal with a client whom came to you with a chipped toe nail? or a finger nail which has been chipped and is smaller than others?

Do you offer manicures and pedicures? I do feel by offering minx shellac DD will only restrict you and TBH,, minx is a high end fashion product predominantly seasonal (spring summer) apart from xmas but I find dies off in the autumn a little, but most clients go every 4 weeks so not exactly regular so you would need to ensure you are charging £30 plus for your minx to earn you profit as such,,,,what can you offer that other salons cant? in fact you are giving a service which does not offer what most salons do which is enhancments.

Sorry it mind sound harsh but I just cant see it working, just my opinion hun xxx

I agree, it does feel like bursting your bubble though. I just don't think there are enough treatments on offer and it seems it would only cater to specific clients. you would want to attract as many people as possible to you. I mean if someone is already going to a salon for facials/spray tans etc and that slon also offers minx etc why would they go somewhere else when they can get all their treatments under the same roof? x

Hello,

I have no money to put into it but it only needs the equipment I have for now - give or take a few posters!
I think you are being a bit naive if you think that's all it needs!
I think a lot of people underestimate just how much it costs to run a salon. They think that if they can afford the rent then it's a viable option.
My rent is about one sixth of my outgoings.
There are so many other things that you need to pay for!
You really need enough money behind you to see you through the first year at least.
You admit you have no money and you only offer a limited service. I honestly think you would be mad to open your own salon. With the economic climate as it is, it would be financial suicide!
Sorry to sound negative-i'm just a realist :hug:

I'm afraid I have to agree with the others. You need at least 6 clients a day rather than a week to start off with, and rent is usually the least of your worries.
You also need money behind you.
Most people totally underestimate what you need money wise to establish a salon.

If you do decide to go ahead, the best of luck, and we are all here to answer questions.

Thank you everyone!! I love to hear it exactly as it is:)

Yes I do CND Mani/Pedi/Minx/DD/Shellac/Eyelash extensions/party lashes and probably spray tans if I had premises.

I have a girl who would do extensions from another salon on a 50/50 split but to be honest I haven't had one lady yet ask for enhancements - although I take the point about a chipped toe etc...!

The other girl I would be sharing with makes and distributes organic local skincare products - she does facials, aromatherapy massages, reiki, indian head etc...

The only thing we wouldn't have is waxing and enhancements I think (correct me if I'm wrong pls). Again I have another lady who is happy to do 2 days 50/50 who is a therapist and does all these things and hot stone.
I appreciate the costs of the salon and have allowed for it in my bus plan - it is touch and go on the exisiting customer base but the gov allowance I get covers most of my rent and the exising customers cover the rest. Any more money I make goes to other costs and then as more customers come - profit...
Does any of this make a difference to you experienced ladies???
Thanks so much for your comments - keep em coming and be as frank as you like!:green:

I think me personally would concentrate on your education for the time being as I feel you are IMO a bit late for xmas clients unless ofcourse you dont mind working on the last min type clients that is. Just remember you can only do so much work with one pair of hands though.

I would invest in spray tanning and maybe do a makeup course, invest in doing enhancments and maybe waxing. In the new year maybe look at getting a shop instead of rushing in head first as xmas coming up,,more haste less speed kinda thing:hug:

You will have your shop insurance your telephone gas electricity, public liability, tax NI, not to mention making it look professional, I would think it will take more than a few posters to make a salon look professional if you are wantiong to attract the right clientele so to speak. I know I would want mine nothing but perfect with the most modern furniture etc,,, do you have all your pedicure furniture,, and manicure, what about a table for your eyelash procedure? how many rooms has the new premisies? how would you split these rooms?

I cant see how you can at the minute make anymore money, I am looking at getting into a shop as I am finding now me being mobile is such pain carrying my desk lamp, minx lamp, nail drill, cusion for back, towels L&P stuff shellac mai pedi tan tent hvlp machine not to mention time it takes pack unpack etc, if I were in shop I would be able to perform an extra 2 clients per day (enhancments ) as I have been mobile for nearly 2 years now and have a good regular client base, yet you have no regular client base.

I think it would be a little unwise to jump ship just now, invest in your education I would suggest.

Ps forgot to add dont forget you would have to conform to H&S regulations, and also with you being in a shop would you work 7 days 8-8,,how are you going to appeal to clients whom work 9-5 mon fri?
xxx

Last edited:
I think you need to sit down and work out your finances. Can you afford to open your own salon? Can you devote enough time to it? Have you got enough money to see you through the first 12-18 months (at least 1 in 3 salons close in their first year, mainly due to lack of funds)?
You need to write a list of everything you will need and then probably double it!
You need to account for, rent, rates, water, electric, gas, telephone, PDQ charges, accountant fees, solicitors fees, shopfitting, signage, advertising, printing costs, computer system, loan repayments, insurance, licences, stock, equipment, wages etc...etc...
On top of this you need to account for every day items such as; cleaning stuff, toilet rolls, magazines, washing powder, tea, coffee, milk, paper, printing rolls etc... It's amazing how the little things add up!
I don't mean to put a damper on things but you need to be 100% committed and know exactly how much you are going to be spending each month.
I've seen so many people fail in their first year because they hadn't budgeted properly. If you are having major doubts then maybe it would be better to look for another room in your immediate area.
Good luck whatever you decide

Also would you be setting up as a sole trader or partnership. Have you researched the area you are looking at? what is your neigbouring shops used for, is there a salon nearby? what is the property being sold for? Why? have you got a USP (unique selling point?) what sets you apart from your competitors? is the shop being leased or are you looking to buy? buying commercial property is alot more complicated than private as you will know.

Has the property been approved for business use? will you pay business rates and council tax? insurances including contents, what about your health and accident insurance for yourself? Have you thought about pricing menus, stock? on a prev thread I remember you saying you could not afford to buy in bulk? surely you realise when setting up a small business you have to spend to make, it makes good business sense, you would need a business credit card as you could not buy in small amounts it would not be wise,, you would need a back stock so you only need order once ever 3 months or so.

Again few more things to think of and these of top of my head:eek::eek:

xx

Thanks guys - I really appreciate your comments. Will try and address each and see where I end up.

Today, I have got 2 excellent places that seem happy to let me camp out and use there premises to do my services and just pay a small fee. One is a natural remedy shop and the other a hairdressers where I already leave my business cards/postcards and they get picked up and come to me that way!

I am a sole trader - I would only ever do LLP if a partnership.

There are salons nearby but I am the only one on the Island qualified in Minx/CND etc... The others are traditional and none have websites or much of a brand etc.. (I am a chartered marketer). So my USP is the brand, the luxury experience, the training I've had and the high end products. People find me via Shellac/MInx websites because they are looking for the products.

The rates are included in the price for a lease on commercial but looks like I will be paying a fee to the hairdresser or the natural remedy shop now which would be easier! Stock is getting better. I have even managed to buy an extra Shellac ahead of running out over Xmas - although I am waiting for my gov grant to enable further stock to be purchased, which should be 3 weeks ish. This would enable me to get about 2-3 months worth.

[I]rent, rates, water, electric, gas, telephone, PDQ charges, accountant fees, solicitors fees, shopfitting, signage, advertising, printing costs, computer system, loan repayments, insurance, licences, stock, equipment, wages etc...etc...On top of this you need to account for every day items such as; cleaning stuff, toilet rolls, magazines, washing powder, tea, coffee, milk, paper, printing rolls etc... It's amazing how the little things add up!
I don't mean to put a damper on things but you need to be 100% committed and know exactly how much you are going to be spending each month.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/I]

All of the above are in my business plan yes. However, I am taking the sensible option for now and building a customer base in that area - then in a few months I could source somewhere.

KatieBaby - How do you get on doing mobile?? I have not done this so far except for parties for the reasons you have said. But obviously you have made a viable living out of this for 2 years - so that is great to hear actually. How do you get on with spray tanning also?? Is it fairly easy or quite messy?Perhaps I should do my lash extensions mobile too as people may like to stay in their home - it's quite a long procedure really and I have a portable bed. Only one other lash extension person in the Island too. Then supplement with my home and the hairdresser/health shop!

That sounds much more viable doesn't it ladies! :green:

That definitely sounds like a very sensible idea. At least that way you can build up a good client base and save some money for when you decide to take the plunge and get your own shop.
I'd just like to add- most clients aren't really aware of a lot of brand names.
I trained with Nouveau in lash extensions and none of my clients had heard of them. I use Berins and Perron Rigot wax, and again, none of my clients have heard of it. None have heard of Shellac either. Where have they all been??!! Lol
I have had a few clients who have actually heard of HD Brows and i'm doing the course next week, so i'm dead excited about that!
Generally though, clients really don't mention brands. We just have to educate them but you need clients in the first place.
Good luck anyway and let us know how you get on.

Thanks so much:green:

Yes - I am much happier with that.

The lady who does the organic products has created a range just for me - they are stunning. We may well share the hairdressers togther and see where we go from there...

Katie Baby - if you get a min - would appreciate your input if poss on the mobile stuff when you next log on cheers
xx

Latest posts

Back